Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#725563  by jp1822

marquisofmississauga wrote:For the past several years my wife and I have taken a transcontinental trip on the Canadian in November. At that time, other than the first few days of the month, it is rare for there to be more than the one Skyline car and a second dining car would only be run if there are more than six or seven sleepers. About four years ago I was on one consist in mid-November that had six sleepers (due to a large British tour) and an extra Skyline car for Silver & Blue was operated ahead of the diner. But on most of my trips - and observations at Toronto Union - the average November consist is baggage, coach, Skyline, diner, three Manor sleepers and Park car. As others have noted, VIA will add a sleeper upon inducement. They may add or drop cars in Jasper but I have seen that only once in my last dozen trips through the mountains.

By November 22 (I was on the Canadian last year on that date) it will be dark most of the time. Passengers will have breakfast and dinner in darkness, although there may be a glimmer of light at the last call for breakfast. With the return to the four-night schedule, the only two really scenic parts of the Winnipeg-Toronto portion are traversed overnight, although there is a chance of seeing some of Muskoka coming into Toronto as the train is often late. I have met friends three times off the Canadian this past winter and spring and it was between five and eight and a half hours late on those days. But this summer has seen many on-time arrivals in Toronto. When the Canadian was previously on the four-night schedule I rode it many times on the Toronto-Winnipeg portion and I doubt if I ever want to do it again. Sorry VIA, but I will be flying from Toronto to Winnipeg and/or return. I've already done that this spring on a Vancouver-Winnipeg trip on which we arrived in Winnipeg just under two hours early.

In the off-season, the Activity-Coordinator's position has been merged with the Park car attendant. The only exception would be if there was an extra Skyline car in the consist. VIA has been trying to trim labour costs and this was seen as one way to do it according to the SM. They really can't cut much more. There are two sleeping car attendants for the three Manor sleepers and the diner is run by just four people. On the subject of souvenirs, there were plenty of goods for sale on my trips (they even advertised Christmas shopping is available on November and December trips) but given what someone was told by VIA maybe this has been eliminated now that the Activities crew-member has to look after the Park car.
I've been afraid of the fact that the "new" four night scheduled Canadian may not be as scenic from Winnipeg to Toronto. The four night schedule definitely must add extra labor costs in the winter with smaller consists as the norm - now more than ever before. I just wonder how this four-night schedule may have affected patronage in general, aside from those on tours. Surprisingly, all my winter trips, and I've done practically one or two a year for the past several yers, we've added or subtracted cars in Jasper. Course this has typically been on the eastbound runs I've taken, leaving Jasper on a Monday. I found that a lot of folks from Vancouver took the "Friday evening train up to Jasper for an extended weekend vacation in Jasper" - returning to work upon arrival into Vancouver on Tuesday. I always found the westbound to be on-time during the winter or off-period for the most part when on the old schedule. Course on-time performance of the Canadian seemed to go down hill fast after the last winter I was onboard, or it was just pure luck to arrive into Vancouver early to on-time.
 #725718  by masdixon

Well this is a bit concerning, I had thought I would be able to see a bit of scenery, another person has said it was possible with the eastbound schedule. The schedule says the train is to arrive in Jasper early in the afternoon, from the photos, and other persons I was under the assumption this was a scenic spot. What are the dining times for meals, it will be dark?
 #726373  by jp1822

Note that it is mentioned that from "Winnipeg to Toronto" it likely won't be as scenic. Eastbound, you'll still see mountains coming into Jasper etc. I am sure it will still be a great trip. How long after Jasper before it gets dark? Depends on train schedule, weather, time of year etc. In November, you likely won't see that much east of Jasper in daylight. From Winnipeg to Toronto I am not sure how scenic or non-scenic it is, as I've not taken the Canadian since its new schedule debutted on this four night schedule. As noted, you'll likely get descent scenery for the arrival into Toronto eastbound and hopefully some nice scenery across the Canadian Shield in Ontario. You'll also have the prairies mostly by daylight, as opposed by night, like the old schedule. So you just have to look at the current schedule and see where your daylight portions are and are not. Lunch and late breakfast you'll have in daylight. Dinner you will likely have in darkness during November. Unfortunately, I liked the old Canadian schedule better than the new schedule, especially across the Canadian Shield and being able to see Winnipeg in daylight.
 #726524  by NS VIA FAN

masdixon wrote:Well this is a bit concerning, I had thought I would be able to see a bit of scenery, another person has said it was possible with the eastbound schedule. The schedule says the train is to arrive in Jasper early in the afternoon, from the photos, and other persons I was under the assumption this was a scenic spot. What are the dining times for meals, it will be dark?
The most scenic areas in the mountains will be in daylight through Blue River, Valemont and Mt. Robson……highest peak in the Canadian Rockies. Arrival into Jasper is at 1600 (4pm) just as it’s getting dark in November. And do get off the train and walk around the town. The station is along the main street with plenty of small shops.

http://www.visit-jasper.com/

Even the station is worth a visit....it's an restored heritage site.

After Jasper, you’ll miss some scenery but it quickly transitions to foothills. Sit it the dome for the arrival into Edmonton as the office towers come into view on the flat prairies……it’s a city of roughly a million.
 #726769  by jp1822

masdixon wrote:Thanks , thats a bit more comforting.
How easy is it to get a shower? I noticed their is only one per car?
Pretty easy! Evenings are best.
 #726812  by jp1822

Keep in mind that the "berths" are located closer to the shower, so you should be able to "monitor" the situation.

If by chance something happens to the shower in your car and it is inoperable (sometimes in extreme winter weather the showers can freeze up - largely the drains) you can always use the shower in the adjacent car. It's rare, but just keep that in mind so you can put all at ease.

Just in case your grandmother is not happy with the bert for some reason, and VIA is running a shorter consist with a lightser load on the day of your departure etc., you may want to ask your attendant if there's a possiblility of upgrading to a double cabin (i.e. double bedroom) once onboard. Just keep that in mind as a backup in case your grandmother feels the berth is not the best for her, even though I think you will be fine. Course sometimes a double cabin may not be available till after Jasper, as there's typically a lot of patronage between Vancouver and Jasper. Not sure if they give any discounts for onboard upgrades etc. It's always worth a try to ask your attendant. But again, I think you will find that most of your time will be spent in the Park Car Dome/Lounge and Diner than in your berth.

Also as an FYI, those occupying bedrooms in the Park Car Dome/Lounge have to use the shower in the adjacent car, as there is no shower facilities in the Park Car Dome/Lounge. Shouldn't affect you, but in case you hear "we don't have a shower in our car" you have some context as to where these people may be residing - the Park Car Dome/Lounge!
 #726938  by masdixon

Im pretty sure we will be happy with just the berths , after a day of cattle class on United just a berth will seem like a palace. :-D
 #727013  by NS VIA FAN

masdixon wrote:after a day of cattle class on United just a berth will seem like a palace. :-D
....So you're flying into Vancouver. Easiest way to get downtown from the Airport is on the new Canada Line Skytrain. Ride to the end of the line at Waterfront Station. Connect to an Expo Line train there and get off at Main Street Station for VIA. It's just across the street.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire ... neAbbr=999
 #798139  by Ken V

Things usually don't change much from one year to the next, however there should be a few changes coming this year and next.

The rebuilt F40PH-2 locomotives are now being delivered. The rebuilt units have only been introduced on the eastern trains (Ocean and Chaleur) so far but will likely be in use on the Canadian by the fall. They should be more reliable and reports say they provide for faster and smoother acceleration.

One Panorama full-length dome car will be added to each consist for the trip through the mountains between Vancouver and Edmonton for the summer season. I don't know if they will still be there in September and October but I expect so.

VIA's transcontinental sleepers are being refurbished and should be done soon.

While not expected this year, VIA is in the process of upgrading selected Chateau and Park cars to include luxury accommodations which are planned to be introducing in 2011.