Railroad Forums 

• The C39-8's reign may be ending

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #474243  by uhaul

Looks like the largest (and only) fleet of C39-8s on a class one is probably going to become very limited.
According to www.nsdash9.com almost all the C39-8s (except the C39-8Es) that are on the active roster are being put into storage. It looks like 8590 is the only one not yet in storage. Well Norfolk Southern is still getting ES40DCs and somethings have to go.
www.nsdash9.com/rosters/8200.html
www.nsdash9.com/rosters/8552.html

#474289  by nsrayman

here are a few in storage.

#474558  by Shark

As of yesterday, there were at least six C39-8's still roaming the system.

#474970  by rob216

Is there anything really wrong with them, or is it the typical go to something newer and up to date?

#475034  by esprrfan

Good! can't wait to shave with one

#476896  by Superglide

esprrfan wrote:Good! can't wait to shave with one
That would make two of us. My last trip on a Dash 7 was a good day...the last trip on a C39 will be another one.

#477770  by Superglide

Figures...All I have to do is mention the things and one shows up. At least it was an E and wasn't the leader. God save us from the sidewinders.

#477834  by tj48

Ok i'll ask, what makes you guys love these units so much??? :wink:

#477925  by lvrr325

Probably the last really good-looking GE.. I liked the round cab top and curved nose sides.

But they're old enough now unless you have a shop that can dedicate extra time to take care of them better, or rebuild them, they're going to have issues in regular service.

#477976  by SOU2645

we love them because they are drafty, rough riding, unreliable pieces of rolling crap. odd looks aside they never held a candle to the SD35's and SD45's that they replaced. It took GE years to perfect their diesel line. The GEVO's are the best so far.
Larry

#478492  by Cameo

only two active as of tonight. 8612 and 8620.

#479092  by Superglide

SOU2645 wrote:we love them because they are drafty, rough riding, unreliable pieces of rolling crap...The GEVO's are the best so far.
Larry
...and that's the way it is. LOL

#479295  by GN 599

The current state of our economy is another factor in this I believe.