Railroad Forums 

• The Blizzard

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #884322  by Teutobergerwald

Is NYA running today in the blizzard, or are they shutting down to stay out of the LIRR's way & play it safe?
 #884358  by DutchRailnut

Does NYA work on weekends ??
 #884492  by atlantic1967

NYA definitely works on weekends. I've gotten lucky and spotted them rolling several times on both Saturdays and Sundays, but I couldn't help you with any kind of schedule info.
 #884604  by mainline

They do some weekend runs. I'm sure the LIRR has them shut down due to the blizzard. They also can recall the lease locos for snowplow moves. Storm last December had NYA GP38-2 268 keeping east Of KO open.
 #885463  by SwingMan

AFAIK, NYAR was not operable Sunday/Monday;Not sure about today but highly doubt it as most customers are most likelys snowed in.
GP38-2 270 was the Speonk-Montauk plow engine, 271 was in for repairs at Morris Park, and the rest were stuck in Fresh Pond/Pine Aire.
 #885836  by SlackControl

268 was stuck in a snow drift for a couple of days out in Jamesport. But, I guess it was removed, as this morning around 2:15AM I saw it on the point of an eastbound train through Bethpage. I think Tonight/this morning (Thurs night/Fri morn) was the 1st time since the snow fell that NYAR was operating normally, at least on the mainline. I went through Farmingdale and Pineaire by train earlier, and the Coastal siding was all snowed in, and the Pineaire siding were also untouched. But, tonight the RS80 serviced Coastal, and then went out to Wyandanch to pull box cars and set them up for a future westbound. This was accomplished with two MP15s. Didn't catch the numbers though. Then, the late night/early morning RS eastbound which followed train 2002 made it's way out to Pineaire.
 #886317  by num1hendrickfan

SlackControl wrote:I think Tonight/this morning (Thurs night/Fri morn) was the 1st time since the snow fell that NYAR was operating normally, at least on the mainline.
That would be somewhat incorrect, saw an NYAR MP-15 run through Mineola on Thursday. Was a relatively small consist of 4 cars ( which included 3 tank cars ).
 #887616  by DogBert

Should be noted csx didn't come inbound until I believe wednesday.

There's still mounds of trash on the streets so the bush should be pretty busy clearing the backlog right about now.
 #887665  by freightguy

Yea they should be a small spike in trash pick up down there. After Christmas BFI used to get double switches( 8 cars) for the spike in wrapping paper and boxes. I wonder when the 1.8 million they received for Maspeth yard will be put to work. I thought Waste Management was supposed to down something on the Lower Montauk side of the Bushwich also.
 #889183  by Teutobergerwald

There was at least one NYA GP38-2 laying over on the siding at Pine-Aire tonight, around 1830. Is that power going to be used for an NYA train tonight, or will it be commandeered by the LIRR to keep the line between KO & Greenport open?
 #889970  by DogBert

freightguy wrote:Yea they should be a small spike in trash pick up down there. After Christmas BFI used to get double switches( 8 cars) for the spike in wrapping paper and boxes. I wonder when the 1.8 million they received for Maspeth yard will be put to work. I thought Waste Management was supposed to down something on the Lower Montauk side of the Bushwich also.

last i heard people didn't want more truck traffic over there so they were going to use blissville. Haven't seen anything at all happen though. Maspeth in it's present configuration is pretty full.