Railroad Forums 

• The big ax just fell. Long distance to 3x/week.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1546421  by R36 Combine Coach

lordsigma12345 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:58 pm The Silver service is obviously a less painful or impactful cut since many of the stations will still have daily service which is probably why it's happening now. I would say that absent such a congressional handcuff the cuts will be occurring.
However Tampa only has one train and would lose service if only the Meteor holds on.
 #1546434  by CNJGeep

Rockingham Racer wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:30 am Silver Service trains are being cut back as of July 6, apparently. The only train on July 7 between NYP and MIA is the Silver Meteor. That does not seem like a bluff.
This was announced several months ago via posters at stations and on Amtrak's website. It is due to the CSX MOW blitz in Florida and other points in the South. Only one Florida train a day. It will alternate 91-97 and 92-98 but there will be service each day. I believe 97-98 will run four times a week.
 #1546435  by dgvrengineer

Meteor runs Monday-Thursday from endpoints and Star Friday-Sunday from endpoints. Maybe being done early because of CSX mow. No reason given for doing this before October. Meteor route still has daily service with Palmetto but doesn't get you to Florida.
 #1546481  by STrRedWolf

CNJGeep wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 pm This was announced several months ago via posters at stations and on Amtrak's website. It is due to the CSX MOW blitz in Florida and other points in the South. Only one Florida train a day. It will alternate 91-97 and 92-98 but there will be service each day. I believe 97-98 will run four times a week.
I can't find the announcement on Amtrak's site now. Was this taken over by the COVID-19? What is the MOW status?
 #1547049  by lordsigma12345

I saw Mr. Flynn’s recent interview. He emphasized that the company remains committed to the network and this is merely a step to get costs under control by cutting back frequencies for the winter months when ridership for most Long distance routes is lowest and that they desire to return at least some routes to daily when they reach the spring/summer months. I guess we’ll see what happens.
 #1547067  by mtuandrew

lordsigma12345 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:32 pm I saw Mr. Flynn’s recent interview. He emphasized that the company remains committed to the network and this is merely a step to get costs under control by cutting back frequencies for the winter months when ridership for most Long distance routes is lowest and that they desire to return at least some routes to daily when they reach the spring/summer months. I guess we’ll see what happens.
That reads true to me, or at least true as far as January 21. No reason as of yet to think either political party as a party platform or priority will be out to change Amtrak’s route structure, or will allow Amtrak to make significant changes thereto. It just isn’t a priority for either party’s leadership or a bipartisan group of non-leadership representatives - everyone is too busy keeping the country in stasis. If there’s a financial issue affecting Amtrak, it’ll be a nationwide financial issue that’ll land on every part of government and the entire economic system.
 #1547077  by R36 Combine Coach

dgvrengineer wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:51 pm I wonder if they will go back to daily for the Thanksgiving and Christmas rushes.
Given the significantly reduced schedules and much lower traffic this year, I don't see loaning
MARC equipment for holiday service.
 #1547090  by Amtrak706

lordsigma12345 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:32 pm I saw Mr. Flynn’s recent interview. He emphasized that the company remains committed to the network and this is merely a step to get costs under control by cutting back frequencies for the winter months when ridership for most Long distance routes is lowest and that they desire to return at least some routes to daily when they reach the spring/summer months. I guess we’ll see what happens.
This is such a breath of fresh air to hear from the CEO. Looks like there may be hope, at least until Gardner gets his influence in.
 #1547118  by Gilbert B Norman

Gray Lady reports:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/us/c ... -cuts.html

Fair Use:
WASHINGTON — Amtrak has long wanted to cut back on long-distance train routes that span America’s heartland, but political pressure from Congress made it next to impossible.

Then came the coronavirus.

Since March, the pandemic has killed over 128,000 Americans and exacted a higher financial toll on the transportation industry than the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Amtrak has not been spared, with an internal analysis showing a 95 percent drop in ridership, and revenue projected to fall by 50 percent in 2021.
 #1547135  by BandA

Amtrak, as a quasi-private corporation, doesn't have direct access to the printing press at the treasury department that seems to be allowed for everything under the executive branch. Same problem at the Postal Service, there has to be an explicit bailout through democrat-republican cooperation. They seem to be behaving more rationally than some other transportation agencies that seem to be hoping for normal revenue.
 #1547495  by CNJGeep

I don't have a link handy, but an appropriations bill in Congress right now includes several billion dollars for Amtrak, on the condition that they maintain service levels and do not "reduce or discontinue any service."
 #1547533  by Pensyfan19

Allow me to give the link.

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... -get-funds
Amtrak and public transportation would receive at least $26 billion in emergency aid under the fiscal 2021 Transportation, Housing and Urban Development funding bill proposed by the House Appropriations Committee — but the money for Amtrak would be tied to a requirement that the passenger railroad cannot discontinue or reduce frequencies on any of its routes. In a press release, Jim Mathews, CEO of the Rail Passengers Association, said the bill shows “Congress is really listening to Americans and recognizing tine critical role passenger rail and public transit have always played in economic resilience.” The bill would allocate $2.05 billion for Amtrak as part of its core appropriation, maintaining the $1.3 billion for long-distance trains, while the emergency provisions would include $5 billion for the Northeast Corridor and $3 billion for the national network.
 #1547538  by eolesen

That's a mistake. Requiring the airlines to maintain frequencies/service and not lay off employees has resulted in around $100M of cash burn DAILY for that industry.

Amtrak needs the ability to determine its own schedule without interference from politicians.