Railroad Forums 

• The Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Club

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1238125  by Otto Vondrak

S1f3432 wrote:In 1981 and 1982 during the time ZO-2/OZ-1 ran out of Bartlett to Gilman and return a plow was at Bartlett for
at least a while that winter...
Can you help me decode the train symbol? "Z" and "O" represented where on MEC?
 #1238145  by Dick H

While not decoding "Z" and "O", here is a quote from the
MAINE CENTRAL RAILROAD, MOUNTAIN DIVISION by the
470 Railroad Club

"Bartlett became a new hotspot for rail activity with the
establishment of a local freight to Gilman, Vermont to
serve the paper mill on November 9, 1981. Called ZO-2,
returning as OZ-1, it was the first local out of Bartlett
since the late 1950's. The St.Johnsbury-Crawford Notch
YQ-1/QY-2 was abolished. The new local was called to
leave Bartlett at 1:00PM meeting YR-1 in the yard before
heading up the Notch with several cars dropped off by
YR-2 the previous evening. Sometimes if a pusher was
needed for RY-2, the local's engine would be added to the
headend power and operate to St. Johnsbury, returning
on YR-1 to Bartlett. This arrangement lasted for about
a year and a half".

There is a photo by Ron Johnson, shwoing the MEC 257
ready t0 leave Bartlett with about six cars.
 #1238161  by S1f3432

Was it a Russell plow?

It was one of the more modern steel plows like the ones still in use on Panam. I don't know if they were
built by Russell or Jordan but the wooden plows were long gone on MEC by then.
 #1238198  by Otto Vondrak

S1f3432 wrote:R= Rigby, Z= Bartlett, O= Gilman, Q= Beecher Falls, Y= St. Johnsbury
Thanks for this and the one above. Interesting info!

-otto-
 #1238896  by Bartlett Roundhouse

As far as I know, no railroad equipment was stored in the Roundhouse from 1959-1983 as the State owned it and stored sand and salt for highway use in stall 4. That does not mean it did not happen, that's just what I have in my memory bank. They did store a car on the spur for a number of years and MOW equipment was stored in Bartlett until almost all of the extra track was torn up up by the Roundhouse. I have no dates as to when all that trackage was removed. Wish my Grandfather was still around as he was section foreman out of Bartlett and could have given some dates.
Scotty
 #1260258  by Bartlett Roundhouse

RRFAN wrote:Are they going to finish the snow plow then go to the boxcar then to the roundhouse.
Hi RRFAN,
It all depends on when and if we get money from grants. The Roundhouse is owned by the State of NH and has a new roof, has been cleaned out inside. we can only work on it in the non winter season. Due to the fact that it is protected by being on the State Register of Historic Places it can only be worked on by licensed contractors. The plow and boxcar, which we are renting to own from CSRR can be worked on by anyone. Grants are available for the car and the plow and we have received 2 grants for the plow. We intend to finish it up cosmetically restoring the plow and then move on to the boxcar while maintaining and trying to find grants for the Roundhouse.
 #1260804  by b&m 1566

When the plow is finished, do you plan to letter it for Portland Terminal or Maine Central? Was Portland Terminal it's only owner before the Conway Scenic purchased it?
 #1261553  by Bartlett Roundhouse

b&m 1566 wrote:When the plow is finished, do you plan to letter it for Portland Terminal or Maine Central? Was Portland Terminal it's only owner before the Conway Scenic purchased it?
Hi B&M 1566,
The plow was built for Portland terminal as far as our records show, it was the sole owner although Portland Terminal was owned by Maine Central and jointly owned by MEC/BM when the railroads were jointly owned. The plow will bear the Portland Terminal Herald. The next project is MEC 35059, which was an original MEC Boxcar. You can watch our progress at http://www.bartlettroundhouse.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scotty
 #1264892  by Bartlett Roundhouse

Just a reminder that our 3rd Annual Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Society's Model Train Show will be coming up on Saturday May, 17 at the Bartlett Elem School, Route 302, Bartlett Village from 10-3. Also, Society members will be meeting on the 15th of May with State of NH DOT officials to discuss the condition and future plans of the Roundhouse. Work sessions will begin in June to finish up cosmetic restoration of Portland Terminal Plow #68.