Railroad Forums 

• The ALCOs and Baldwins of North Africa

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#244770  by mxdata

Does any contributor to the forum have any information on the fate of the SNCFA ALCOs (RSC models) and the SNCFA and ONCF Baldwins (various DRS models including the very unusual Morocco cyclorotor units) that once were common in Algeria and Morocco? These were endangered in the early 1970s when both countries started to receive EMD GT26CW and GT26CW-2 units, and I would suspect most or all went to scrap. Is anyone aware of any that were set aside for display?

#245595  by David Benton

i dont have any technical info , but i rode the lines of Morrocco , Algeria , and Tunisia in the mid eighties . I remember american type diesels in Algeria and tunisia , (u26c???) , but i think Morrocco was mainly french type diesels then .

#246226  by mxdata

Morocco did indeed have diesels of French manufacture in that time period, mainly double cab Alsthom units similar to some used on the SNCF, I believe they were rated at 3000HP. However they also had three types of Baldwin diesels for many years. These included the endcab 1500HP cyclorotor six axle DRS units with sealed carbodies, and the conventional DRS units in roadswitcher and light roadswitcher versions. The cyclorotor units and the light roadswitcher class were designs built only for Morocco.

Algeria had Baldwin DRS roadswitchers and also had several classes of ALCO RSC roadswitchers, including both the RSC2 and RSC3 models. The ALCO RSC units were frequently used as power on the MA and AM passenger trains that crossed the border near Oujda.

Both countries purchased EMD locomotives in the 1970s, which were GT26 variations. I recall the Algerian units being the conventional 10 foot wide platform, but I believe the Morocco EMD's were built to the 9 foot wide design for clearance in several tunnels. Back in the mid 1970s you could regularly see EMD, ALCO, and Baldwin locomotives in the Oujda engine terminal at the same time, along with Alsthom, Fablok, Saurer, and other European built locomotives.

I know there is very little interest in locomotive preservation in that part of the world so it would surprise me if any of the ALCOs or Baldwins were saved, but I thought I would ask just in case somebody has seen one sitting in front of a station somewhere. Of course there has also been very little interest (in the US) in the ALCOs and Baldwins built for foreign markets, you seldom see them mentioned anywhere.