Railroad Forums 

• The 470 Railroad Club (Equipment and Activities)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#913107  by b&m 1566

Then the font color on the 4266 is incorrect, as I'm not aware of the F units ever being repainted in the maroon and gold before being painted blue.
 #913342  by Reader#108

I saw some pictures of the 4265 of it in maroon and gold connected with the 4268 B unit in blue.....it was said that after, it was dipped blue until the end of it's career....not my photo but here it is......http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... &key=bmcdr
 #913366  by MEC407

Reader#108 wrote:I saw some pictures of the 4265 of it in maroon and gold connected with the 4268 B unit in blue.....it was said that after, it was dipped blue until the end of it's career....not my photo but here it is......http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... &key=bmcdr

Is it me or is the "MAINE" missing?
 #917828  by MEC407

Just in case anyone is searching for info about Maine Central steam locomotive #470, you can find the relevant thread at this link.
 #918243  by daylight4449

ericofmaine wrote:
Reader#108 wrote:Eric, in a previous post you alluded to 4266......is there some forthcoming work that needs to be done to her? And, is there any plan by the 470 club to put a prime mover back into 4268 and get her up and around? Or is she to be a static display? and if so, a repaint and some body work? When I was a kid, we were able to go into 4266 and sit at the controls......could this be something to be done with 4268 if left on display? Some type of educational piece of equipment?
Reader,

As to the 66 (and 68 for that matter), there are several side panels that have started to rust out or deteriorate, and we're going to try to fabricate new ones and install them this spring. My understanding is that these panels are a sandwich of sheet metal "bread" around a marine grade plywood "filling." We have a couple on hand, but the company we purchased what we have no longer makes them, so we're going to have to fabricate the remainder.

In regards to 4268, never say never. It is a thought that has been entertained and we've been "testing the water" to see what is out there, but there is nothing to report as of now. As for a static piece, I believe, but could be misinformed, that the cab has been fairly well gutted (no control stand) and so probably not.

Now, MY OPINION (not the 470's) is that you'll see something happen to 4268 before anything ever happens to return 501 to operation.

Eric
I'm still looking into possible price details for converting 4268 into a slug. Haven't been able to do much because I either forgot to look or was busy with other projects. As long as the tank doesn't get filled, there is a chance to install a prime mover and make 4268 fully operational. As for 4268 coming back before 501, we'll see what tricks I have in my hat ;)
 #932407  by #7470

I thought that a wooden structure was supposed to be built over 501 to protect her from the elements. At least that's what I heard a few years ago. But it would be nice to see her in her old spot again
 #932758  by ericofmaine

Reader#108 wrote:When does the 470 plan on starting the panels on the 4266 and 4268? And when they go in for service, will 501 be moved back to the point under the water spout?
Panels have been ordered, expect a 4 to 6 week delivery. I believe the plan is to start on 68 first.

Eric
 #932863  by daylight4449

Reader#108 wrote:Will that work take place in the roundhouse? And will 4266 run this season as a result?
My guess is that 4266 would be lower on the list because it may be needed for service. Working on 4268 would be easier, seeing it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
 #933282  by ericofmaine

Reader#108 wrote:Will that work take place in the roundhouse? And will 4266 run this season as a result?
The work will occur in the out of doors. As for the schedule, 68 will be first as it won't be needed and isn't going anywhere. 4266 will absolutely run this season.

Eric