Railroad Forums 

• Thalys - Compliments of Honda Motor

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#535416  by george matthews

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I saw this spot on TV last evening; I'm reasonably sure the train is Thalys equipment (high speed but not ICE or TGV).

Doesn't You Tube have everything and then some?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvcyUe48 ... re=related
I can't see YouTube.

However, Thalys trains are basically Reseau TGVs, painted Red, with the electrics to allow them to use voltages in Germany (can't remember), Belgium (3000v DC), Netherlands (1500v DC) - all different - as well as the LGV Nord.

Thalys is a company that operates trains across frontiers from Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam and Koln. I think it is jointly owned by the various national administrations.
 #536835  by kato

george matthews wrote:I think it is jointly owned by the various national administrations.
Thalys is jointly owned by SNCF (62%), SNCB (28%) and DB (10%).

The Thalys PBA variant can use 1.5 kV DC, 3 kV DC and 25 kV, 50 Hz AC supply. The Thalys PBKA can also use German-standard 15 kV, 16.7 Hz AC supply.

#536840  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:amazing how car ads never show the car stuck in a traffic jam , or indeed in ordinary traffic .
Yes, it's always the open road and the wind in the hair. But advertising is a form of lying. As Gore Vidal points out, now that he has moved back to Hollywood, he's surrounded by liars.

Every extra car makes traffic worse. The bus from Orlando to Tampa, St petersburg, Clearwater and Fort Meyers in Florida was moving very slowly much of the time, but there was no train alternative.

#537219  by NS3737

The train as seen on the video is the real Thalys train set (or originaly TGV PBKA, where PBKA is short for Paris, Brussel, Köln, Amsterdam), which looks distinctively different as a TGV Réseau. Although some of the SNCF owned TGV Réseau train sets have been painted in the Thalys scheme.

Gijs