Railroad Forums 

• Test Results BNSF Minot

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1248552  by drewcmis64

Hi Friends,

I just finished my physical capabilities test, hair follicle, and hearing/vision ect. (2-6-14) Expected start date is March 17th 2014 in Minot, ND. I was wondering if BNSF pre employment is quick about sending the final offer, or if I should expect a weeks notice before I need to pack and head out to ND. I have no problems with criminal background, education, driving ect...

Thanks for the help
Drew
 #1249008  by ljpierce1965

I too am on the list for the March 17th Minot class, but I interviewed back in October. The final offer for Minot is due to come out 2-3 weeks prior to the projected start date. I'm expecting it in late February or the first week of March. That said, I've also read on here that they might even send it out later than that. Just be ready when they do.
 #1249009  by ljpierce1965

I should have also said DO NOT MOVE TO MINOT YET.

The March 17th class is also apparently made up of people, myself included, that originally interviewed to start back in December 2nd, 2013. That class was supposed to start in Whitefish, MT and then move to Minot for the second half of the class. They cancelled that and postponed it to March 17th.

Also, I don't know what it means, but they just recently (in the past 2 or 3 days) finally pulled down the Minot job announcement from their job board. Was up there since January 17th.

Again, don't pack up and move yet. Just research the area with what you can find on the internet. Lodging for the first 6 months of employment, including training, will be taken care of by BNSF. I was told by the HR people that the Four Points is the place where they put everyone up. We'll see if that holds true.
 #1249183  by drewcmis64

Thanks for the replies! I interviewed on the 16th of January and apparently they didnt get enough people (15 positions)... so they opened for another 20-25, which just closed. I just hope it all goes well for the 17th of March. And yes they did say The Four Points is the hotel they trainees will stay at. I stayed there for my interview, traveled from Seattle. Looking forward to starting (if everything goes well) and meeting!

Cheers
 #1250576  by karldotcom

I was invited for a hiring session at Mandan ND next week and had to cancel since there was less than a 7 day notice for airfare ($1200) Anyways, I was told by an engineer up there two days ago that there are over 40 openings on the conductor boards in Minot. They are also pulling personnel from all over the state to fill trains. He said if you hired on anywhere in the District you might end up in Minot the shortage is so big.

In another note he said that they are asking if people in ND if they want to go to Engineer School after being a Conductor for six months.
 #1250634  by ljpierce1965

Sounds like I'm going to be seriously busy and not having to worry too much about furloughs, layoffs, etc. Fine by me. I'll play the game however they want to and laugh all the way to the bank.

As for going to Engineer school after only 6 months as a conductor, I don't know if I'd want to do that so quick. Personally, I'd think I'd want to stay a conductor for a bit longer just to get some more knowledge and experience under my belt before moving to the right seat.

Bottom line, I'll do what I have to do when I have to do it.

Thanks for the heads up.
 #1250745  by drewcmis64

Great info karldotcom. I keep looking at the careers page and seems like there is always openings for the Minot district. Booming as some would say. It may be worth the 1,200$ to take the trip over there, but 7 day notice is very hard to commit to. At my interview I met people from each side of the country looking for a position. There was only 12 of us there for a 15 position class... Spots are open for sure.

Best of luck hope to meet you guys one day
 #1250951  by ljpierce1965

Admittedly, that wasn't made clear. All that I'm aware of is that I will be training in, and working out of, Minot.
 #1251277  by drewcmis64

I applied for Minot. The only location on that job description was Minot. BNSF just opened positions in another 4 locations in that district. Glasgow, Glendive, Forsyth, and Mandan. All need conductors. Relocation for Glasgow.
 #1251416  by karldotcom

Well, judging from my friend's posts (He started in Mandan, then became and engineer in Minot), he is all over the place. Grand Forks, Glasgow, Minot, Rugby, Devils Lake, then up some of the branch lines.
 #1251489  by ljpierce1965

Sounds like fun to me. I don't know anything about how railroads are run so I'm keeping my mind open. But the idea of going to many different places doing many different things appeals to me. Definitely NOT a 9-5 job.
 #1251686  by ljpierce1965

Yeah, I've heard about the housing problems up in the area. Surprised to hear about a surplus of apartments in Minot though. That might bode well for housing costs.

The story is differnt in Williston though. In Williston, ground zero for the Bakken Oil boom, rent for a 700 SF 1 bedroom apt. is over $2,000 per month. Williston surpassed New York and LA as most expensive place to live in the US.

I have no intention of living anywhere near Williston. I've got a plan for me and my family that should be relatively easy to put into play once I get out of training and on the board.