Railroad Forums 

• Teenager struck by train North Chelmsford

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1578484  by neman2

Prayers to the family. Walking on a train track with headphones on is a basic lesson everyone should be taught.

From WCVB news-------https://www.wcvb.com/article/teen-hit-b ... s/37340883

CHELMSFORD, Mass. —
A teenager suffered serious injuries Wednesday when he was hit by a train in Chelmsford, police said.

At approximately, 12:10 p.m., Chelmsford police and fire responded to the area of Drexel Drive near the border of Westford and Chelmsford for reports of a person struck by a train.
Responding officers found a 17-year-old Chelmsford boy who had been struck by a train. He suffered serious injuries, police said.

Police said it appears the teen was walking on the tracks and was unaware of the approaching train when he was hit because he was wearing headphones.

Neighbors told NewsCenter 5's John Atwater that they heard a train sound its horn around the time the teenager was struck.

The teen was flown to a Boston hospital for treatment. Witnesses told Atwater that the victim was conscious when he was placed in the medical helicopter, but the extent of his injuries and his condition remain unknown at this time.

The incident is under investigation.
 #1578490  by Trinnau

The first fatality I responded to as a manager was a similar situation up in Saco. Guy was crossing the tracks at a regular cut-through the locals used and had his headphones on. Downeaster came around the curve and wrong place, wrong time. I still remember watching the cab video on the train while we waited for the coroner to finish. The guy was mid-stride and never turned his head despite the engineer laying on the horn.

I personally have known 2 railroaders killed on the job and 2 more lose legs. Been to dozens of trespasser fatalities and a few serious injuries - they don't usually live. This kid is lucky to be alive, hopefully he still is. Prayers to the train crew for having to deal with it, and to the kid and his family. Tough way to learn a lesson.

Expect a train on any track, at any time, in any direction. Look. Listen. Live. I know the people on this board know it, but even those of us in the industry can get complacent at times.
 #1578508  by Safetee

No question there are many people today wearing the various headphones and related hearing hardware that are guaranteed to block out all other sounds except the sounds of their music. whether crossing a road or walking on a helipad or walking down a track, people get so absorbed in their music that they become oblivious to and can not hear any of the sounds that would normally alert them about the dangers that are happening right where they are located. In my mind, the manufacturers of this equipment should pay a heavy penalty for not making a more honest portrayal of the dangers of wearing their devices without paying attention to their surroundings.