Railroad Forums 

• Teenage Railroad Volunteers

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#20770  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Just stumbled on this thread.
(I'm not a teenager anymore, but I was not all that long ago, still have about a half dozen issues of the HotBox around)
Up here in Maine I have been a volunteer at the WW&F, and at the Boothbay Railway Village just down the road so to speak from the WW&F, and I am currently a volunteer at the Maine Narrow Gauge.
Trevor H, I am usually there on Sundays, hoping to be down this weekend.
I find volunteering to be very rewarding and fun! So fun, I did my Eagle Scout project for the Boothbay Railway Village!
Regarding insurance and such, I think that it is very important for people of all ages to give their time to charitable organizations, because without volunteers to maintain the collections of these organizations, our history won't be preserved for our future.
Have fun all!
cya, Joey

#21018  by Christian S.

I would love to volunteer my time at a tourist railroad or museum, but unfortunately, I live too far from the nearest one, and can't drive on my own yet. Most likely when I enter college, and get my driver's license (in about a half a year or so), I will volunteer at the nearest tourist railroad during the summer months. I can't wait!
Last edited by Christian S. on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#82515  by jesse corbett

Just a tip for you guys and gals.... If you are serious about getting into railroading from the "roundhouse" side and want to be a locomotive machinist or electrician, the Mid Plains Community College in North Platte, NE has a great 2 or 3 year degree'd program done in conjunction with UP. Keep you grades up and out of trouble and you are assured a job with Uncle Pete. Other railroads are finding about this as a source for mechanical op's people as well. It is worth checking into and they have decent on site housing for out of towners.

#253285  by LandDownUnder

I turned 19years only last Friday. However I've been volunteering in railroad preservation since I was 13 years of age. At present, I work primarily as a Conductor and have since been promoted to Trainee Diesel Railmotor driver. I've been with my tourist railroad for the past 4 years and enjoy every moment of it.
Last edited by LandDownUnder on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#253405  by stevo

i've been operating at the seashore trolley museum since i was 13.

now i'm 14.

#253428  by StevieC48

Ive been involevd at Seashore Trolley Museum fo 23 years now. I think its great to have the younger generation comming to voluenteer on the property. My kids are too young to voluenteer now but not too young to plant the seed of railroading into their minds. I look to the younger voluenteers as the FUTURE of the Nations Rail,Steam and Electric Museums. I enjoy myself when I can give a youngster the chance of a life time and run a street car. They might not rember the trolley they rode on ar much about, but the wil rember'"The nice guy who let me drive the train."
Quick story I was down in Lowell on 966 and a grandfather and grandson was riding on the car the kid was very bright telling me all aout car 966 we were riding on. Before they detrained I made a promise to the kid and his grandfather,"If you come visit me up at the Trolley Museum I will let you run a car". Overjoyed and delighted his family did come up a mounth later. His grandfather passed prior to him going to the museum. I asked the kid if he rembered what I had told him,he replied yes. Skeptical I loaded his family and my self aboard opencar 838 and he had the trip of the life time. I was happy he had made it and sad that his grandfather wasnt. Enourage our younger voluneteers THEY ARE OUR FUTURE

#253794  by stevo

wait, you're at seashore too? who are you?

#253833  by StevieC48

Instructor/Inspector of the on Saturday's last yet. You and your borther are very good opeartors. But I know who you are and have done some check rides last year. You also assted me and John Middleton re-rail 1700 by Tower C last year. I keep my hair real short and were safery glasses because my kids broke them. Hope that helps you ,

#253913  by stevo

nope, sorry. PM me and tell me who you are, k?

#280031  by mikeydc03

Hi Im Michael
I am a director on the Board of Directors for the Truckee Railroad Foundation. We are just getting started, we had our one year aniversary celebrating our initial formation. Our goal is to have a museum built in downtown Truckee, which is undergoing a major expansion. Our little town has grown up alot in the past four years, new homes, more tourists, and more interest in the railroad. I am 17 so I am almost always dealing with people twice my age and still love every minute of it. For those of you who do not know where Truckee is, its a town just 12 miles north of Lake Tahoe, along I-80. The California Zehpyr rolls through here every day, and eventually so will the Capitol Corridor. I have loved every minute of volunteering for everything in my town, railroad related or not, but as a director I am playing a leading role on how the foundation will add to the community, and entering college next year majoring in Architectural Engineering and Political Science, this will help me, and it will help me get the musuem built and designed by me!!! Well thats pretty much me and what I volunteer for, um yea.

#293893  by Rail Liner

I am a helper on morristown and Erie Railway Based out of Morristown, NJ. I usauly hep with holiday specials

#293894  by Rail Liner

I am a helper on morristown and Erie Railway Based out of Morristown, NJ. I usauly hep with holiday specials

#293895  by Rail Liner

#293896  by Rail Liner

#293897  by Rail Liner