Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#587777  by rail10

What technology is the antiquated NYC subway derived from?
 #588094  by jonnhrr

The first subway was built in London but used steam traction originally. The first US subway was in Boston in 1897, originally for trolleys but later used for subway cars (Washington St. El) in 1903. I suspect the technology to build the NY subways were based on the initial efforts in Boston.

The technology for the trains themselves started with the electric trolley car and made practical for train operation by the Multiple Unit concept developed by Sprague that was first used for eletrified "steam" railroads then adapted for use by rapid transit lines. Originally NY rapid transit lines were elevated steam hauled lines, electification and MU made subways possible.

Jon
 #588185  by Otto Vondrak

rail10 wrote:What technology is the antiquated NYC subway derived from?
I don't know what is "antiquated" about the Subway, except that it dates from 1904 (more or less). Maybe you didn't mean to use that word? What are you asking about specifcially, please?
 #589031  by Kamen Rider

jonnhrr wrote:I suspect the technology to build the NY subways were based on the initial efforts in Boston.
the concept of cut and cover construction came from the oringal building of the Metropolitan Line in London, which is classifed as Sub surface and even has some open air sections today. even back then they weren't dumb enough to put a steam engine in as deep a level as the modern deep level tube network is.
 #589252  by jonnhrr

Yes London (Metropolitan and District) were definitely first, and Budapest might have gotten in there as the 2nd one.

I had to mention Boston's project as a more direct influence spurring New York to develop subways - you know that NY - Boston rivalry :P

Jon
 #589262  by Kamen Rider

jonnhrr wrote:Yes London (Metropolitan and District) were definitely first, and Budapest might have gotten in there as the 2nd one.

I had to mention Boston's project as a more direct influence spurring New York to develop subways - you know that NY - Boston rivalry :P

Jon
whatever, you're the ones trying to pass of a street car line off as a subway.