Railroad Forums 

• Tampa Fl, how many directions?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#154277  by CSX Conductor

Can anybody tell me how much territory (how many lines and distances of each) are covered by crews out of Tampa, Fl.? Just curios because a General Notice issued here on the Albany Division states that CSXT is looking for people to do voluntary transfers for a period of 6 months beginning on Aug.19th.

Nip?

#154369  by crazy_nip

well, tampa florida crews run from tampa to jacksonville, tampa to wildwood, tampa to baldwin (autoracks), tampa to orlando, tampa to winston (lakeland) over the A and S lines.

The 2 main yards are yeoman yard and rockport yard.

Rockport is almost 100% phosphate and/port jobs. Rockport is also technically a hump yard, but not really, you will have to see it.

Yeoman is general freight, flat switched yard. They have an intermodal ramp on what used to be called uceta yard (used to be ACL, yeoman was SAL) but the whole complex is referred to as yeoman yard now.

they run from rockport (tampa) to the bone valley phosphate mines and back

also locals around tampa and the 3 or 4 tampa to bradenton jobs per day including the juice train

I am not sure of the locals out of mulberry yard and winston yard are considered tampa or not, but I am pretty sure they are. Winston handles out of state unit phosphate trains and locals in and around the lakeland/auburndale/lake wales areas. Winston handles unit phosphate trains, and locals as well.

Potentially also a run from tampa to miami on one of the rock trains

they run from tampa to brooksville over the brooksville sub (no longer a through route), thats one freight each way per day, plus a tri weekly unit coal train

plenty of territory, I could post a map if I had somewhere to upload the picture. Probabally a pleasant change of pace for you considering where you work now

#154370  by crazy_nip

have them send you a florida division timetable. The entire florida business unit will likely be your prospective territory.

But through runs potentially as far north as jacksonville, savannah and waycross on a good day

#154402  by charlie6017

Maybe Roadster can give you a run-down. I think he went there earlier this year. Send him a PM, maybe he can give you some information.

#154409  by crazy_nip

if you let me know which yards you will be based out of, I could be more specific

the "tampa terminal" includes yeoman and rockport yards, but winston and mulberry are in the florida division as well, try to be a little more specific

#154530  by CSX Conductor

crazy_nip wrote:Probabally a pleasant change of pace for you considering where you work now
Maybe Nip, but I would need to make at least $1500+ /week or else I'd be losing $$.

Thanks for the info. :-)

#154531  by CSX Conductor

charlie6017 wrote:Maybe Roadster can give you a run-down. I think he went there earlier this year.
Actually Charlie, I believe he went to Miami.

#154604  by charlie6017

Actually you're right, it was Miami. My heart was in the right place.

#154725  by Cowford

The Florida Business Unit ceased to exist two+ years ago.

#154732  by CSX Conductor

Well Cowford, since you are another rather knowledgable one......do you know if they would want people to cover only certain territory or qualify on everything out of Tampa?

#154917  by Cowford

Conductor - sorry, can't help you on that question... my guess is that it could be anything out of Tampa as many of the subs are "challenged" regarding crews. There could be worse places as a home terminal. After a winter in Florida, you may just rethink your homelife. Hmmm... Selkirk or Tampa... Selkirk or Tampa... :P

#154925  by CSX Conductor

I love the snow. It sucks working in it because the M&W crews are short-handed andwe usually have to shovel out our own switches (which is against union agreements, I believe), but I'd rather be in the snow than this 90 degree weather.

Boston for now I guess.

As the song goes:
"Cause I love that dirty watah....oh-oh Boston your my town!" :P

#154957  by crazy_nip

as much as the state of florida is beautiful from roughly november to may, the summers are absolutely brutal

when its cold, you can dress appropriately

but you can only take off so much to combat the heat

also, with the humidity, sweating does not matter, as your sweat does not evaporate, its just brutal

june though september are just terrible

depending on the year, may and october can be just as bad, this summer seems especially bad, it was in the 90's in may this year

you wake up and its 82 degrees with 90% humidity at 6am, and leave work and its 93 degrees with 99% humidity

#154972  by octr202

The six years I lived in Florida drove me to go as far north as I could find for college.

In addition to the heat which Nip described, you've also got the friendly wildlife of Florida too. Everyone knows about the snakes and alligators, but I think the creature I miss the least is the fire ant. It took me about 3 years of living in New England to teach myself that I don't need to look down whenever walking somwhere off of pavement. Those things seemed to have about 5000 mounds per quarter acre of bare ground everywhere.

#155063  by charlie6017

This summer has been really hot up here in the Northeast, too. I can't stand it. It's been in the 90s almost every week since the end of June and that's not normal here. Been humid, too. We are not used to that up here. Gonna be hot and humid this week, too. Give me 70 degrees anyday and I'm set.