Railroad Forums 

• Talk With NS?

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#575399  by NSFan012

Hi,
i have a question about a frequncie because i dont want to do anything illegal. There is a frequncie that says Talk With NS- 160.070. Can i actually Talk With the trains legally?
Thanks,
Warren Johannes
 #575548  by Gadfly

NSFan012 wrote:Hi,
i have a question about a frequncie because i dont want to do anything illegal. There is a frequncie that says Talk With NS- 160.070. Can i actually Talk With the trains legally?
Thanks,
Warren Johannes
I don't know what they actually mean by "Talk with NS", but your answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! :(
This is STRICTLY against the law. I don't mean to be harsh, but railroading is not a "game of choo choo" for the public to join in and play. The penalties can be severe. The railroad AND the Federal Communications Commission will come after you with a vengeance with fines and even jail time. So forget about talking to the trains on a radio.

Gadfly
 #575589  by NSFan012

yeah. i kinda figured that out already but thanks
 #575927  by Gadfly

You aren't the first person that has had that idea, tho. We even caught someone doing this quite a few years ago. We began to hear some strange conversations on the road channel (NS) as if someone who didn't know the radio phone procedures was trying to hail trains on the Charlotte (NC) District, but the train crews seemed to ignore them. i went to something called a "hamfest" (a gathering of Radio Amateurs) and a guy in a Southern RR hat noticed my SR "greenlighter" jacket.
He began to brag about how he could talk to the trains as if he had special privileges, yet he was simply an overwrought foamer. He was using his modified ham radio to talk to the trains and pointedly showed me he could do it. He was the guy we were hearing on the road channel at times! I didn't say a word back. I quietly went to a phone (before cellphones) and called the Railroad dicks! They were there in minutes. They siezed the handie talkie for evidence and, I assume, turned the matter over to FCC. We never heard anybody "bootlegging" anymore.

If you want to listen to the trains, get a scanner. Listening is perfectly fine in most states. Look on the internet to find states who have prohibitions on scanners in cars or portables. Transmitting on the RR frequencies causes safety and interference issues. :-D

Gadfly
 #575938  by NSFan012

yeah i no. ive got 2 scanners one base and one portable. i was just simply wondering