Railroad Forums 

• Talk of potential new business for the Falls Road?

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#104537  by nessman

A source (non-RR) had mentioned this to me several months ago... if this actually happens, it would be a HUGE shot in the arm for the Falls Road - increasing traffic by over 6,000 cars a year of inbound raw material and outbound finished product. This would likely mean service on the line at least 5 days / week - and possibly more if they handle plant switching duties.

Why Holley? Very cheap municipal electric to start - easy rail access with their industrial park bordering the Falls Road - and some attractive tax breaks for new industry.

For now, let's keep this in the speculation file as talks between the potential business and the folks involved are still informal at this point.

From today's Rochester Democrat & Chronicle:

http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/pbcs ... /1002/NEWS
Holley studies ethanol plant

Meaghan M. McDermott
Staff writer

(March 6, 2005) — HOLLEY — Officials from the village of Holley,
[snip]
I've said too much already. In order to comply with the railroad.net moderator police I've quoted the bare minimum and leave it to you - the reader - to hope that the link above is good and will get you to the story.

#131304  by arnstg

What happened to all the posts regarding this subject?

#132490  by med-train

This topic was discussed on NYS Railfan back on Mar 24, 2005.
Today that is back on page 4.

#191526  by brockportman

so if this happends i wonder if the falls road will be laying more track? or maybe installing a detector somewhere along the line?

#191885  by nessman

brockportman wrote:so if this happends i wonder if the falls road will be laying more track? or maybe installing a detector somewhere along the line?
Doubtful. If any new trackage comes of this - it'll be an industrial spur and a few sidings onto the customer's property. The line doesn't have the track speed or the traffic to warrant a detector.

#468644  by Challenger3985

What was this actually all about? Link is dead, hmmm, maybe because its from 2 years ago. Ha!

Holley Ethanol plant? Or something else? Whatever happened to this?

#468654  by med-train

There was a lot of NIMBY protest because of the chemical plant fiasco (Diaz Chemical spill) so the plant idea moved to Medina. Holley has low cost electricity because they own their own municipal system and can buy cheap making Holley the preferred site. The site in Medina is right on the fringe for low cost power from Niagara Falls and became the backup site.

#468790  by Challenger3985

Ahhh.. Okay. Thanks.