Height: 15' 10.5'/ 15'
Nominal weight: 204 tons / 207.5 tons
Horsepower: 4,300 THP/ 4,400 THP
Fuel Cap: 4,900 gallons/ 5,000 gallons
Lube Oil Cap: 436 gallons/ 450 gallons
Cooling system cap: 275 gallons/ 400 gallons
Max speed: 70 mph/ 75 mph
CTE: 157,000 lbs./ 166,000 lbs.
Braking effort: 106,000 lbs./ 117,000 lbs.
Engine type: EMD 16-710G3C-T2/ EVO
Cylinders: 16/ 12
Electrical transmission: A.c./ A.c.

by Aji-tater

Maybe it would be appropriate to give your source. That comparison is taken verbatim, including the title, from page 24 of the March issue of Railway Age magazine.

by jg greenwood

[quote="Aji-tater"]Maybe it would be appropriate to give your source. That comparison is taken verbatim, including the title, from page 24 of the March issue of Railway Age magazine.[/quote

You're correct, as is you name. It's info for our railfans; my apologies if I fail to meet your journalistic standards.

by Joe

Wow, the GE seems to be better in every way (except that it'd be heavier, if that's a bad thing...). Didn't think the ACe was actually shorter than a GEVO, the ACes look huge. I'm guessing it's the EMD radiator section that adds the extra 10.5"?

Plus, the GE isn't hideous, GE was smart in not completely destroying the locomotive's appearance.

by AmtrakFan

Well I like the ACe's.

by MEC407

jg greenwood wrote:It's info for our railfans; my apologies if I fail to meet your journalistic standards.
Giving credit where credit is due isn't just a standard of journalism; it's a moral standard. It's also a rule of these Railroad.net forums.

Having said that: thanks for sharing the info, and please include the source next time.

by jg greenwood

MEC407 wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:It's info for our railfans; my apologies if I fail to meet your journalistic standards.
Giving credit where credit is due isn't just a standard of journalism; it's a moral standard. It's also a rule of these Railroad.net forums.

Having said that: thanks for sharing the info, and please include the source next time.
Aye aye sir!!

by Jay Potter

In response to Joe's mention of locomotive weight, increased weight can actually be a good thing, in that it increases tractive effort at low speeds. Because of this, the SD70ACe units that CSXT is currently testing weigh 428,000 pounds; and the DC-traction GE evolutions that CSXT has ordered will weigh 432,000 pounds.
  by SD Shortline

It may be heavier, it may hold more fluids, but standard equipment on the GEVO's seem to be the engineer friendly (a little sarcasm) desktop controls.

Whilst EMD seems to think an AAR control stand will work better.

Either way, they don't look like a GP30 so...well you get the picture.