Railroad Forums 

• take a look at the NEW EMD

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#728158  by EMD Engineer

We are still very much the same 'old' company, but want to shed a new light. Here's proof in video of the new EMD.

New Head line
As or more high tech than any other manufacturing line in the world. And we aren't just stopping their. Much more of this coming soon.

The greener side of EMD
We don't talk green, we DO it, and we have been for a long long time. The green repower is powered by an 8-710 engine.

CalTrans going greener
This CalTrans unit was in our shop for weeks. Wish I could show you how much instrumentation was on this locomotive to do the development. Took a week just to get it all hooked up. Emissions taken from T0 to T2. Expect to see more of this, and in more applications.
 #731209  by Jtgshu

That "greener side" video is great! The music is very catchy too! :)

Good luck and thanks for the info and knowledge that you share with us EMD engineer, its much appreciated!

In one of the videos (i don't remmeber which), it shows a V20 - is that going to be going into something sometime soon? Maybe SD80-2s? :)
 #732927  by GulfRail

Jtgshu wrote:In one of the videos (i don't remmeber which), it shows a V20 - is that going to be going into something sometime soon? Maybe SD80-2s? :)
It would probably be an SD80ACe. Unlike the SD90, it actually was reliable. LOL
 #750111  by CN_Hogger

How about another re-design of the latest cab? The SD70ACE's and SD70M-2's are uncomfortable and LOUD. There's been a couple I've had the back door vibrate open...nice little surprise when you're running down the main at 60mph.
 #751561  by Mr.S

At some point in the 1990's weren't CONRAIL's 20 cylinder SD80MACS have a 5,000 H.P.rating?
 #751728  by MEC407

The SD80MACs were always rated at 5000 HP. That was their original rating straight from EMD.

(I know, I know, they were assembled at Juniata :-) )
 #752140  by Mr.S

Thank you MEC407 for your comment, I thought as much.However,my post was more a question as well as being a response to Super Seis's post in this forum I too knew that they were assembled in Juniata also. At this point I would like to know what about the SD80MAC Demonstrators,where were they assembled ?
Mr.S
 #753760  by v8interceptor

Mr.S wrote:Thank you MEC407 for your comment, I thought as much.However,my post was more a question as well as being a response to Super Seis's post in this forum I too knew that they were assembled in Juniata also. At this point I would like to know what about the SD80MAC Demonstrators,where were they assembled ?
Mr.S
At EMD's plant in London, Ont.
 #758306  by ENR3870

CN_Hogger wrote:How about another re-design of the latest cab? The SD70ACE's and SD70M-2's are uncomfortable and LOUD. There's been a couple I've had the back door vibrate open...nice little surprise when you're running down the main at 60mph.
I'd love to see a cab redesign. Maybe placing the head and ditch light switches within easy reach, like GE does. A back door that doesn't vibrate open would also be nice as would a proper desk for the conductor. Getting rid of the air starters would be nice too, the older SD70's with the electric starters work just fine and are not nearly as loud, the air starters don't have any advantage as the lube oil and fuel pumps are electric and if the batteries are dead won't work.
 #758364  by UPRR engineer

I like the air starter, sounds cool and you get some good smoke out the stack. Back door is a real problem.
 #758372  by Jtgshu

I have a dumb question about the air starters.........how do you start the loco if it has been dead and its dry? Im assuming it has a seperate air reserve tank for the starter, like the HEP motors with air start have a totally seperate tank that takes some air from the Main Res tanks of the loco.

I can see it being benefical if the loco has weak batteries and stalled/shut down and is still warm, but are electric starters better for colder starts?

I personally like starting older locos, with priming the fuel and then a layshaft, etc. I might be able to get it started when the computer can't. I have never had loco batteries die on me trying to start an older loco, with a layshaft, but I have had the new "push button" start button locos crank themselves to death several times, which sucks.
 #759653  by CN Sparky

From experience... the air starters are the worst possible idea. Nothing sucks worse than having to put shop air on a locomotive, only to find out the battery is dead too. Or the other way around. And if you're not IN the shop... getting another unit and a hose to charge it up. It really, really sucks.

There's three air tanks - one inside the carbody beside the compressor, and two where they usually are above the fuel tank. One of the two on the side (the larger one) is the #3 reservoir, which is for the air starter. As long as the check valve works properly, it won't lose all it's air. But even then, if the engine is cold... it may not start on the first try, and you need another unit to charge the air up to try again.

Add to that... there's no way to disable the autostart system on these new beasts... so when it's not starting properly on it's own, we dump the water and it's shipped "dead and drained" to the nearest shop.

I like how GE starts the engine using the alternator itself... that's smart. Too bad EMD hasn't learned that trick.