Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #435460  by Allen Hazen

Somewhere, a long time ago (in a galaxy far away) I read of a proposal to modify a T-1 by installing crank axles so the forward and rear sets of driving wheels could be coupled inside the frames. It would seem that this -- if feasible -- would have done much to alleviate their wheelslip problems. A similar design idea was incorporated in the 1970s proposal for the "ACE" modern steam locomotive.

Does anyone know more about this proposal?
How far the design work went?

(And what would it have been called in Whyte notation? Somehow 4-4-4-4 no longer seems appropriate, but wouldn't have looked exactly like a conventional 4-8-4 either! Maybe a "4-8*-4"? (Grin!))

(I've also posted this question to the Steam Locomotives forum. Since, once the drivers are connected, whether by interior or exterior rods, the locomotive would be effectively a 4-8-4, perhaps its PRR classification should be R5?)

#435644  by timz

Related question: how would the inside rods and crank axles be assembled? Would you assemble the crank axles, then hook up the rods-- which would mean the rods would have to be in three pieces? Could inside rods use roller bearings? If so, would the inner and outer races be in two halves to fit over the already-assembled crank axle?

#435713  by Allen Hazen

I would think-- but since I'm not an expert, this is the sort of thing I'd love to hear about from more knowledgeable people-- that rods with split ends that could be bolted onto the cranks would be the only prectical solution. (I imagine a configuration somewhat like that of the end of a rod in an internal combustion engine, where it fits over the crankshaft... And we know, from the unhappy history of Alco's 241 and 244 diesel engines, that this isn't an easy bit of design, that it can lead to metallurgical difficulties.)

How, on 3-cylinder steam locomotives, was the big end of the internal cylinder's driving rod connected to the crank axle?

I would think roller bearings would be at least as advantageous for the internal cranks as for other parts of the locomotive's running gear: maybe more so, since they would be fairly hard to reach for frequent lubication. Here I fear the 3-cylinder steam locomotive might not have provided a technological example: were any 3-cylinder steamers built in North America in the rollerbearing era?