Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#350097  by BobLI

Is there a local train that switches the feed company in Central Bridge or does one of the road freights switch it.

Is there a track plan available when Central Bridge had more than 1 track running through it. The Rt 30A underpass is at least 4 tracks wide.

#350162  by Mem160

Rail Model Journal from either Sep/Oct or Oct/Nov 1999 had a very detailed trackplan of the A&S Div of the D&H which included Central Bridge.
I can post it here if I can figure out how to do it as an attachment
on this site.

--- Mark

#350756  by NYSW3614

Local does it.
 #355313  by march hare

D47, I think (?) is the current name for the local that does Richer.

Best bet to catch him in town is on Sunday afternoons, listen to the scanner for somebody at the CPF 503 detector with very few axles. I've also seen him in there on Wednesdays, but I'm not sure if that's a regular or semi-regular move. Sundays seem to happen a lot.

The switch faces the wrong way for a local coming from the north, so some maneuvering is necessary to drop a car. Sometimes you'll see that he has run around his train at Delanson, and he'll show up shoving a car or two ahead of him into town. Other times, he'll do a flying switch into the siding.
 #355332  by march hare

I went looking through the Sanborn on line archive--here's a weird one--there are Sanborn fire insurance maps for 1904 and 1909 covering Central Bridge, but nothing later. Most other towns in the area have two more generations of maps going up into the 50s. Did Central Bridge become fireproof, or was it just considered expendible??

As of 1909, there were 5 tracks shown where the Rte 30A underpass is today (three tracks in 1904). It's ambiguous whether it's an underpass at that point, or a grade crossing. Also ambiguous as to what the other tracks were for.

Also shown are two sidings on the north side of the mains that diverged and went behind the passenger station and water tank. There's a lumber shed shown on one of them. There was an odd, gray building with an overhang standing in that location when I was a kid--got a couple of bad pix of it, not sure if that was the lumber shed or some later structure on the same site. I had heard it identified by locals as a milk loading facility.

As of the early 70s, there was a siding (maybe two) on the south side of the main that went way up past the freight house and beyond the main grade crossing to some sheds that stood in back of the (recently closed)village store, but it was in really rough shape. Had World War 1-era date nails in the ties, several of which are now in my collection. I never recall seeing it used, (except once to park a Sperry car at the freight house)--the locals just accessed the Richer mill from the north end switch every time I saw them.

The freight house had a Beacon Feeds sign on it for years, but I never saw it serviced by rail.

I heard some RR employees once tell me that the passenger station in town got taken out by a derailment in the mid 60s but I've never been able to confirm that.

Also of interest, Ed Hagen--the guy who wrote the book on the Schoharie Valley RR--said at a talk he gave to the Schoharie County Historical Society that the SVRR at one point (early on) did its interchange with the D&H at Central Bridge, by crossing the creek on the D&H main. I've never figured that one out--I've seen postcards of a depot at Schoharie Junction, but it looked like a farm house with a big window attached more than it looked like a station. Maybe the passengers got off at the Junction, but the freight interchange tracks were across the creek in Central Bridge??

Note this is wild speculation at this point (except for the Sanborn stuff--I have direct access to those) and I reserve the right to contradict myself in the future.

#355769  by BobLI

March Hare. is Schoharie Junction where they have the CP MOW shop? I did a quick detour past it one day and it looks like 1 siding for track cars there?

Thanks for the Central bridge update. Everything there sure has changed there. I did follow the feed siding until it disappears into the ground by the freight house. And that structure is in very sad shape, like the freight house in Cobleskill.

Btw the scanner works great on top of the hill. CPF 503 is loud and clear. Also picked up some other transmissions as well.
 #355891  by march hare

Yep, the maintenance building site is Schoharie Jct. You can follow the right of way, in fits and starts, down to Schoharie, and follow the M&S on to Middleburgh.

BTW, both the Schoharie and Middleburgh depots still stand. The Middleburgh one has been moved and rotated 90 degrees.

#356165  by BobLI

Im not familiar where the Middleburg depot is. The Schoharie depot is the museum and the restored car i assume. Is it in the original location in Schoharie?
 #356219  by march hare

The Schoharie depot is the little red building on Depot lane, correctly identified as such in the signs on site. As far as I can tell, it sits in its original location.

At Middleburgh, the depot is a private residence, single story, at the south end of the park on RR Avenue. Originally oriented N-S along the tracks, it was moved roughly half a block to the south and spun 90 degrees.

#356251  by BobLI

Ok thanks, I'll have to look for it when i pass through Middleburg. Thanks for all the info an good luck with the rock casting business, saw it mentioned in Model Railroader.
 #358215  by march hare

To all interested:

See the Yahoo groups board today for a discussion of the new procedure for switching Richer. Title is something like "D47 at Richmondville?"

Seems there's a new rule prohibiting dropping a car by (ie running around a car by using momentum--engine goes one way at a switch, the car goes another). That had been how they were getting the engine on the right end of the cars for switching Richer feeds.

Now they're taking the train all the way to Richmondville summit and running around on the passing siding between CPF 526 and 528.

That's got to be a pain in the butt for crews and dispatchers alike.

#358852  by BobLI

That explains why my friend mentioned he saw an engine running with 1 car going through Cobleskill.
He thought that was very unusual!! Any chance of a pic showing the swirching move at the feed mill?

#358868  by D&HFan

this local mostly runs on Monday and Tuesday around 9-11 am

#373071  by Shawn

Hello, If you guys want I can take a few pictures locally(Central Bridge / Schoharie Area). I will be posting pictures in the next few weeks from my collection. I'm not a rail road buff but I do have quite a bit of rail road related pictures, history, post cards. My interest centers around the Schoharie Valley line due to the fact my Grandmother rode on it and my grandfather worked on the rail beds and trestles. I believe I have two pictures the early 1900's taken in Schoharie. If someone feels these weren't the engines used please feel free add any input. If you would like a photo emailed to you just ask.

the links are

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ ... allRR1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ ... VallRR.jpg

#373107  by D&HFan

Very nice pics, keep them coming. Do you have any of Howes Cave?