Railroad Forums 

• Switching lamp

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#108158  by steam371

Can anyone suggest a good online store, where I can buy a switching lamp, instead of the crap I bought from my lovely employer, at an inflated price? Are L.E.D lights the "in things" now?

#108545  by clearblock

Here is a link to buy direct from Star Headlight & Lantern.
The advantage of LED (their Model 2002) is the signal lamp will last almost forever and you get bettery battery life.

http://www.star1889.com/railroadorderform.html

#111226  by TheAngryBrakeman

I bought one of those new lanterns with the LED signal lights. They're something different but I was not all that happy with it. For one thing, I went through two switches, the switches and internal electrical board don't stand up too well when the lantern is dropped. The "reflective" case is not really reflective at all, just a brighter yellow/green color. I would buy another one if the flashlight bulb were to be made LED, I use it much more at night than the signal bulb anyways, so I didn't really notice a large change in battery life. The red "battery dying" LED light on the side is a good idea, but by the time it comes on, the flashlight is already getting dim so it's kind of useless. Unless you only use the signal light and not the flashlight, I'd stick with the older, more rugged model.
 #111266  by thebigc

steam371 wrote:Can anyone suggest a good online store, where I can buy a switching lamp, instead of the crap I bought from my lovely employer, at an inflated price? Are L.E.D lights the "in things" now?
CN, CP, BCR? They charge you for a lamp? What are they charging you?

I've got a spare or two on hand. PM me and we'll talk. Our new ones are the yellow Star units with the plastic guard over the flashlight bulb.

#145382  by Kick

On CP the first one is $5 when you hire on, after that we get the rest for for free. I must have got 7 or 8 in the last two years. It is in our collective agreement that they have to provide free replacements for us. Talk about a good investment of $5, great camping lights.

#147546  by Guest

I use the standard star stinky lantern. I hate it. Too big and not bright enough. Been thinking of making it into an LED lantern..I wonder if the signal light could be moved to the spot? Does anyone actually use the signal light?

-r

#147836  by steam371

I use that crappy lamp too!, I was looking at the local hardware store, and i see that there are some fancy halogen bulbs that will fit. I'm gonna try them.

#147838  by steam371

Anyone wanna send me an extra lamp. I really don't wanna pay $40 for an extra lamp.

#147845  by thebigc

steam371 wrote:Anyone wanna send me an extra lamp. I really don't wanna pay $40 for an extra lamp.
If you want one, PM me and we can discuss the specifics. Namely the shipping costs. The lamp is free.

#147920  by Guest

Those lanters show up on eBay pretty often too - usually less then $10.

-r

#147954  by thebigc

razor wrote:... usually less then $10.
-r
Take it easy! You trying to get this thread locked too?!? :-D

#148157  by Guest

snork!

Hey...I bought some halogen bulbs from one of the marts for ABOUT $1.34..works great in my lantern - much brighter than the standard bulb. I wondering how much faster it will eat the battery though? Anybody know?

I do have an extra battery and a batter charger, but they are both too heavy to carry around. I'm just to lazy to carry all that stuff.

-r

#148207  by thebigc

Razor, those the screw-in type or the newer bayonet style bulbs? We used to have two types of screw in bulbs: blue dot and white dot. The white ones are much brighter and eat up battery life accordingly but as we say on the RR, I ain't buyin' the batteries!

OT, I can't imagine trying to describe a job in the employment forum without pay specifics!

#148360  by Guest

thebigc wrote:Razor, those the screw-in type or the newer bayonet style bulbs? We used to have two types of screw in bulbs: blue dot and white dot. The white ones are much brighter and eat up battery life accordingly but as we say on the RR, I ain't buyin' the batteries!
They are the flange type bulbs. The standard bulbs suck considerably compared to the new ones - I just hope they don't eat my battery up to quickly. As I said, I'm too lazy to carry a spare. :)
OT, I can't imagine trying to describe a job in the employment forum without pay specifics!
I guess I didn't understand that the mod there was just a kid w/no railroad experience. I probably would have cut him a little slack. I'm a big meenie.

-r

#148861  by thebigc

razor wrote:snork!

Hey...I bought some halogen bulbs from one of the marts for ABOUT $1.34..works great in my lantern - much brighter than the standard bulb. I wondering how much faster it will eat the battery though? Anybody know?

I do have an extra battery and a batter charger, but they are both too heavy to carry around. I'm just to lazy to carry all that stuff.

-r
Picked up a couple two-packs of Rayovac "kryptonite" bulbs. I'll try 'em out tonight. Maybe they can cut through all this humidity.