Railroad Forums 

• Switching Cargill @ Watkins Glen

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1488048  by Fireman43

While at Watkins Glen I noted it was NS switching hopper cars at the Cargill Plant in the village. Curious why FGLK would not be doing the switching if their line. I suppose an agreement in place.
Would these cars have been brought in via Geneva ?
Thanks. Mark
 #1488070  by lvrr325

Both roads use black as the primary locomotive color. NYC-style grey stripe gives Finger Lakes units away.

I would presume in a pinch they'd borrow from NS, but the only logical reason for that would be if a derailment had that side cut off from Geneva for several days.

I'm not sure of the specifics on how they operate on this side but the job is based in Geneva, yes, and runs down NS to Himrod Jct. to enter the former PRR.
 #1488089  by Matt Langworthy

I tend to doubt NS sent any locomotives over to FGLK, owing to the lack of reports from FB. In fact, yesterday's HG2 used a NYC-striped B23-7, which indicates (as LVRR325 stated) FGLK is keeping a black locomotive in Himrod. Also, HW2 is usually a 1 man operation these days and therefore needs a locomotive equipped with remote control. NS doesn't have that type of loco here in NY.
 #1488175  by lvrr325

They're keeping one locomotive in Himrod like Conrail used to do? The train that brings cars down from Geneva is separate?
 #1488189  by Matt Langworthy

Yes, FGLK keeps a locomotive in the yard at Himrod. The days of GW2 (the turn from Geneva to Watkins Glen) are long gone. The operation was separated in 2010, and may have been so before then. Either HG2 or GH2 handles the traffic between Himrod and Geneva. That local has mostly been HG2 of late because the engineer lives south of Himrod. HW2 is the turn from Himrod to Watkins Glen, and was reduced to a 1 man crew a couple years ago. I don't know how FGLK handles the turn to Penn Yan these days.
 #1488207  by Benjamin Maggi

Matt Langworthy wrote: Also, HW2 is usually a 1 man operation these days and therefore needs a locomotive equipped with remote control.
I photographed an engine (the engine perhaps if they only have one black engine with r/c) on a recent fan trip they had and posted about it on my blog. It is in the third and fourth pictures.
https://dandhcoloniemain.blogspot.com/2 ... rsion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;