Railroad Forums 

• switches

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#229991  by benltrain

what is the maximum speed a passenger train can comfortably take a well built switch? what about safely but maybe not comfortably?

#230002  by Sir Ray

Since switches have speed ratings, this is not a simple question to answer.
Switches should have a design rating (say 45mph), and if the train exceeds that speed (which it really shouldn't - this isn't a underposted Highway Speed limit, but an actual design limit) then problems can occur (discomfort being the mildest, derailment the worse). Switches designed for High Speed lines, as you can imagine, tend to have gentler curves among other characteristics.

#230015  by benltrain

Sir Ray wrote:Since switches have speed ratings, this is not a simple question to answer.
Switches should have a design rating (say 45mph), and if the train exceeds that speed (which it really shouldn't - this isn't a underposted Highway Speed limit, but an actual design limit) then problems can occur (discomfort being the mildest, derailment the worse). Switches designed for High Speed lines, as you can imagine, tend to have gentler curves among other characteristics.
on the amtrak high(er) speed lines what are the speed limits through switches? what about other speed lines worldwide?
 #230235  by TB Diamond

BNSF had many MT switches that were authorized 45 and even 50 mph, this in Wyoming on the Orin Line and Gillette-Edgemont, SD.

#230238  by roadster

You'd have to refer to Amtraks Timetable for the territory your inquiring about. They have presribed max. speeds set for turnouts but without their timetable it is not possible to comment.

#230278  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

at HOLDEN INTERLOCKING on the Northeast corridor, the switch for trains going to make the Attleboro stop is an 80 mph switch (Track 1-Track 3) but for all other switch's on the NEC, the best speed u can get is 45 because of the limited clear signal (red over flashing green=45mph)

#230283  by DutchRailnut

don't say all of NEC cause some MNCR switches are 60 mph on NECLike New CP217 and CP235, most are 45 but some are 30 and even 15 mph

#230284  by benltrain

also, what is the max speed a train can go through an interlocking if it does not switch tracks?

#230286  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

DutchRailnut wrote:don't say all of NEC cause some MNCR switches are 60 mph on NECLike New CP217 and CP235, most are 45 but some are 30 and even 15 mph
woops, sorry bout that, i forgot about the tracks down south
benltrain wrote:also, what is the max speed a train can go through an interlocking if it does not switch tracks?
it depends on the track speed in the area, for example, in Attleboro, MA on the NEC, if an Acela Express has a clear signal through Holden INT. it can go 150 mph or MAS for that area

#231681  by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:at HOLDEN INTERLOCKING on the Northeast corridor, the switch for trains going to make the Attleboro stop is an 80 mph switch (Track 1-Track 3) but for all other switch's on the NEC, the best speed u can get is 45 because of the limited clear signal (red over flashing green=45mph)
I thought the newer high-speed crossovers were only good for 70mph. :(
 #258825  by PRR Trackman

Amtrak has some turnouts and crossovers that allow the train to make crossover moves at 80 and 90 mph...At Grove interlocking they have a number 30 crossover and other places they have a number 35...

#258841  by thebigc

If I'm not mistaken, "Grove" was the first interlocking on the NEC equipped with moveable point frogs and rated for 80mph. Went through it while I was qualifying and felt like a straight route, probably because it pretty much was!

On the other hand, the crossovers at "Elmora" between 2 and 3 were 15mph...

#258882  by Jtgshu

There still are some 15mph xovers and turnouts here and there, (Union, County, Fair, come to mind) but 30 adn 45 are common for Amtrak interlockigns at least, while the High Speed switches are 80mph - Are there any other switches anywhere on teh NEC that are higher than 80? I don't feel like looking through my Amtrak timetable to find out! Anyone know off hand????????

#258953  by gprimr1

There is an interlocking before the tunnels in South Baltimore that according to my amtrak video is rated for 70mph.

#379480  by MetraBNSF

Most of the interlockings on the BNSF Chicago Sub (which host BNSF, Metra suburban trains, and Amtrak) are good for 35mph. Some of the newer interlockings (and there aren't that many) are good for 50mph. Some of the Metras take the 50mph crossovers and you hardly feel a thing.