Railroad Forums 

• Swanton St Bridge, Winchester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#190304  by l008com

Does anyone have any pictures of the swanton st bridge in winchetser. Not the one on the main line, the one on the woburn branch that was filled in with dirt. Apparently the MBTA was still running trains under there when I was born, yet I don't ever remember there being a bridge there, just dirt. Any pics would be cool. I looked at the regular sites but found nuthin.

#190493  by RRBUFF

I lived in Winchester in the early 1940's. There was a bridge there next to the old Beggs& Cobb Tannery. If I remember correctly it was a wooden planked bridge with wooden railings blocking the view over the tracks.

#190507  by CGRLCDR

I don't have a picture, but I remember it clearly. It was your typical B&M wooden arch bridge. I think there still one around just like it in Wilmington off of Rt 38. If I remember correctly, it is about 5 miles past the Woburn line on the left. The street might be Butters Row off of Main Street. I was there a couple of years ago and was surprised to see that one of those wooden bridges still exists.

#190741  by wolfmom69

I think you are talking about what B&M called "Box Pony Truss" bridges. 2 in Maine lasted until the 1990's. 1 in S. Berwixk ans one over Sinnott Rd. in Kennebunk/Arundel area.

Bud

#191318  by NealG

I grew up in Burlington in the 1980s, on the Wilmington side of town and used to ride my bike to the Butters Row bridge to watch the trains go by at full speed. The last time I was went down Butters' Row, a couple of years ago, the old wooden bridge was still there.
OT, but there's a quite evident section of the Middlesex Canal in the woods off of Butters Row with the ruins of a bridge that went over Maple Meadow, nee Sawmill (its name upstream), Brook.