Railroad Forums 

• Swan holds up train by waddling on the track for two miles

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1417209  by David Benton

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/884 ... -two-miles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hate to think what would of happened if it decided to waddle between the 3rd rail and the track .
 #1417217  by johnthefireman

In the old days the driver would have accelerated to make sure of the kill before stopping to pick up the carcase. He and his fireman would view this as a particularly choice supper. In some of the old footplatemen's tales published in UK there are stories of always having an air rifle on the footplate in case a rabbit or other delicacy was seen by the lineside. In Nairobi the railway museum still has the special bench seat which could be attached to the front of the loco so that visiting dignitaries (including Teddy Roosevelt, Winston Churchill and the Prince of Wales, if I recall correctly) could ride there with their rifles and decimate any passing wildlife. In the South African railway rules it still actually states that you are not allowed to stop and pick up animal carcases but they should be reported to the next Stationmaster or Train Control Officer. Presumably these officials are more worthy of a good meaty meal than the poor footplate crew!
Last edited by johnthefireman on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1417241  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote: Hate to think what would of happened if it decided to waddle between the 3rd rail and the track .
The variations are limitless, but in my experience third rail, at 600 or 650volts DC, isn't as lethal as the overhead catenary, at anywhere from 11,000 volts AC or multiples of it. If you get too close to the catenary, it will pull you in. One of the towers I worked in was on a PATH line with third rail. You just stepped over it, it has a protection board on top. I heard of someone kicking it and not being injured. About forty-five years ago a construction worker with a crow bar got jammed into it and was killed. His was the second third rail fatality on the H&M/PATH since its beginning around 1910.
just reading about NZ class EW locos, they used 1500v. DC catenary.
When I was in high school I got a ride on a locomotive on a Jersey Central passenger train, and at one point we had a little dog running ahead of us in the gauge of the track, trying to get away from us. I was wishing that he would make a left or right turn; but no, he remained ahead of us and the engineer couldn't stop for him. And no, I didn't go back for the carcass to cook for dinner, although dog meat is tasty. :wink:

As for a seat on the pilot for eminent personages, it sounds like a safety rule violation on today's railroads.
Last edited by philipmartin on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1417253  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote: Some of them on the river actually belong to London Livery Companies.
Swan upping.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_Upping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After reading about the London Livery Companies, I suggest that this forum be renamed "The Worshipful Worldwide Railfan Forum."