Railroad Forums 

• Susquehanna Steam in the days before DO

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#2657  by Jason W

No, this isn't another 142 question. I'm always suprised to see how little information about the Susquehanna before the DO takeover is available. Why is this? What I am really interested in knowing is what was the Susie-Q like in the years when steam still operated (in regular service, not excursion)? Did the Susquehanna roster its own steam engines or were they all leased from the Erie like the passenger coaches? If they were owned what classes, type, and number were they? I recently saw a Susquehanna livered Russian Decapod, is that prototyipical? Thanks for any replies.

#2676  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

About the Russian Decapods... There were bought FROM the Erie..

#2748  by NYSW3614

The NYSW leased or owned many ex Erie engines.

The following is from the Krause & Crist book, pick up a copy sometime.

NYSW painted engines-

4-6-0 camelbacks and standard cab
0-6-0
2-10-0
4-6-2

Erie painted engines, leased from Erie-

4-4-2

I'm sure there's more, but its a start.
 #2819  by njmidland

You have to remember that the Erie leased the NYS&W in 1898. By 1920 all of the original NYS&W steam had been scrapped - much of it was either too small or were camelbacks built for the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern.

When the NYS&W made its break from the Erie in 1940, it leased all of its steam from the Erie. The trustee of the Susquehanna, Walter Kidde, was a mechanical engineer by training and not a railroader. Almost immediately he made the move to buy new diesels from Alco. Thus, there really was no "modern" steam era on the independent NYS&W.

#3669  by rcbsd45

Probably the most comprehensive book on the pre-DO days of the NYSW, all the way back to the beginning days is the book, "The New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad" by noted author Robert E. Mohowski. the book was published within the last year by Johns Hopkins University Press. It is a hardbound, 205 page 8X11 book with excellent material for this subject. I recommend it quite enthusiatically, and I am not saying that because I know the author. The material in this book is quite extensive, and most informative and educational.
 #3799  by jmp883

In addition to the Robert Mohowski book, Carstens Publishing did a book on the Susquehanna that covers its history from the beginning to just before the DO era. The book was written by Hal Carstens and the majority of photos came from the camera of John Treen, an NYSW employee. Included are many pictures of their steam locomotives as well as text about what steamers were purchased vs. what ones were leased.

The book is still available in most hobby shops and through Walthers catalog. I would imagine copies could also be found on e-Bay.

#4565  by n01jd1

I have yet to read the book wriiten by Robert Mohowski, but I have read the carstens book written by Carstens and it is indeed a great book on the pre DO Susquehanna railroad. Lots of photos all black and white and good information.
 #478057  by Bruce John Van Zile Sr.

I may have some pictures of Erie engines leased by the Suaquehanna. Was 0-8-0 # 200 and 2-8-?? # 667 among them? Also a neat picture of 0-6-0 # 6022 being loaded onto a gondola? By crane # 3128. Was this in the 40s? During the war?? Pictures by Howard (Bud) Van Zile.