Railroad Forums 

• Surviving L&HR Stations

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#6118  by Urban D Kaye

Anyone have a survivors list of L&HR stations? I know about Great Meadows station and the Allamuchy freight house. Others? Photos?

#6159  by Marty Feldner

McAfee (moved), Vernon, Warwick, East Chester (moved), and Girarde (Hamptonburg) (moved- now part of another structure).

Also, Maybrook's New Haven station (moved).

#6310  by njmidland

Mansfield Street, Belvidere is also still standing, on the property of a propane dealer. Track is still in place as it appears they received tank cars until about 5 years ago.

#6402  by Marty Feldner

Thanks for that, NJ- have to get back down that way to check it out.

Not too hard to figure out which one of us is on which end of the line, I guess :wink:

#77061  by David

Any updates on the Allamuchy freight house being restored?--Was there in June with Mike DiMunno and noticed the area cleaned up with a blue tarp on the roof. Are they waiting for permits, money or both?

#82223  by rfalcone

This should be very nice when completed. Keep us posted on its restoration.

#97581  by JJMDiMunno

njmidland wrote:Mansfield Street, Belvidere is also still standing, on the property of a propane dealer. Track is still in place as it appears they received tank cars until about 5 years ago.
It's been a while since there's been a post on this thread, so I thought I'd liven it back up a little bit, with a photo of that station on the AmeriGas property in Belvidere...

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/LHR_M ... Street.jpg

And I actually think the time frame we're dealing with on the last carload into that place was closer to 10 years ago...should have been around 1995 or so, and it should have actually been Brockway Plastics back when service was still going on...kinda funky track configuration going into that place, and I'm actually showing the unloading spot as being equipped with a Pneumatic Tube Connection...interesting...also it's only a single spot for carload drop, so they weren't getting a lot in there...

And the reason that the track isn't gone by now is because it's not officially abandoned...I guess NS thinks AmeriGas could find the need to get cars any time now...and I suppose they could...

Mike DiMunno

#97623  by wis bang

[/quote]Brockway Plastics back when service was still going on...kinda funky track configuration going into that place, and I'm actually showing the unloading spot as being equipped with a Pneumatic Tube Connection...interesting...also it's only a single spot for carload drop, so they weren't getting a lot in there...Mike DiMunno[/quote]

Vacuum unloading equipment alows the car to be off-loaded into a silo. Different grades of resins will be delivered to different silo's and usually there is more connecions at the silo for pneumatic bulk trucks too. Brockway maay have been able to make a deal for rail deliveries of the most used resin.

I have vacuumed wet resin from a rail car compartment & returned it to a dry compartment w/ a pneumatic/vacuum trailer. The inbound car had travelled thru a flooded area entoute to the plant & two compartments had leaked. The vacuum & pressure discharge dried the resin in a clean environment. The supplier paid the cost to save having the shipment rejected,,,

I used to work at a company that had rail to truck & I later managed that location as well as a different transfer facility. Plastic resin is a good example of rail and trucks working together.

#107556  by NJ Vike

There's also one at Ogdensburg. If not a station, some other RR type building.

#108081  by Marty Feldner

Ken-

Any old railroad buildings in Ogdensburg would be NYS&W, not L&HR.

The line from Franklin to Ogdensburg was only taken over by the L&HR (solely to service the zinc mine) in the early 60's, after the abandonment of the Hanford branch by the Susquehanna.

#108102  by NJ Vike

Marty Feldner wrote:Ken-

Any old railroad buildings in Ogdensburg would be NYS&W, not L&HR.

The line from Franklin to Ogdensburg was only taken over by the L&HR (solely to service the zinc mine) in the early 60's, after the abandonment of the Hanford branch by the Susquehanna.
Thanks for the clarification. I know the two RRs in the area but somtimes this gets confusing depending on where and when.

Ken

#118795  by David

Any updates or pictures of the Allamuchy Freight House. The last I saw it was about three months ago. It looked, at that time, to be moving quickly.

#118818  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Any updates or pictures of the Allamuchy Freight House. The last I saw it was about three months ago. It looked, at that time, to be moving quickly.
I haven't seen anyone working on it lately. I was there about a month ago.

Ken

#129414  by David

Will be there June 15th--Hope to see vast improvements! :-D