Railroad Forums 

• Surviving Conrail Painted Loco Spottings

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#585661  by scharnhorst

Finger Lakes Railway B23-7 #1989 Ex Conrail #1989 is still in CR Blue the Conrail Quality Logo was painted out shortley after it arrived on the property.
 #587912  by Tadman

I didn't get photos or numbers, but this thread inspired me to keep an eye peeled on my last SW Chief ride, a few weeks ago. I saw modern power painted for CR, ATSF warbonnet, and SPRR. I'm pretty sure all were patched in one sort or another - I don't know if we've resorted to calling these 'bandits' like the Soo-lettered MILW units have been called in the last few years.
 #587998  by scharnhorst

Tadman wrote:I didn't get photos or numbers, but this thread inspired me to keep an eye peeled on my last SW Chief ride, a few weeks ago. I saw modern power painted for CR, ATSF warbonnet, and SPRR. I'm pretty sure all were patched in one sort or another - I don't know if we've resorted to calling these 'bandits' like the Soo-lettered MILW units have been called in the last few years.
Former SP, SSW, DRGW, and CN&W units have officially been called Bandits in the both the Trains and Model Railroad Magazines. I guess the name could be applied to Conrail units too.
 #596110  by scharnhorst

I wonder what will become of the 2943 (Spirit of Conrail)? I my self think It would make a nice donation to a railroad museum restored in Conrail colors.
 #597548  by scharnhorst

GulfRail wrote:I don't know if this counts, but I saw a former LMS unit (in full Conrail blue) on a CSX train.
why not I think LMS was a part of conrail but not sure??
 #597579  by JMcDonald

On Friday 10/31/08 I saw SD40-2 8814 working the Hagerstown, MD CSX yard. Her CR paint was in good shape. Only the cab number was in CSX gold. Long hood carried the Quality lettering.
 #597598  by atsf sp

scharnhorst wrote:
GulfRail wrote:I don't know if this counts, but I saw a former LMS unit (in full Conrail blue) on a CSX train.
why not I think LMS was a part of conrail but not sure??
Heres a website that may clarify it. Those colors are conrail blue, and count.
http://www.trainweb.org/crcorp/lmsnscsxcn.html
 #597613  by ecouter

Conrail Cyclopedia wrote:Beginning in 1994, Conrail purchased a total of 60 C40-8W's for their joint leasing service with General Electric, Locomotive Management Services (LMS). To make the units more compatible in lease service with other railroads locomotives, the LMS units lack the Epic electronic air brake system and IFC package normally found on Conrail C40-8W's.

The first units 700-739 arrived in 1994 and were painted in Conrail blue with LMS initials. The second order, 740-759, arrived painted in the standard Conrail Quality scheme. Then in the summer of 1997, Conrail began moving 740-759 from lease service into their regular fleet, renumbering the units into series CR 6266-6285.
 #598787  by GOLDEN-ARM

Came to Texas, for a visit, and to see a "real LV U-Boat", as it was described to me. It's just a B-23-7. (sigh) Will post some pics here shortly, with some cab shots to compliment the rest. Other than the renumber, and the PRR patch, it's wearing a well worn original paintjob. The search for missing LV U-Boats continues......