Railroad Forums 

• Surviving equipment

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#634888  by TomNelligan

CAMB.MASON wrote:Wasn't there a steam loco(maybe a Pacific) and two or three coachs in the maroon paint scheme?
The B&M steam locomotive that was at Edaville (1457, a Mogul) is now at the Danbury Railroad Museum in Connecticut. Don't know about the coaches.

The preserved B&M Pacific that you might be thinking of (3713) used to be at the Boston Museum of Science, and is now in pieces at Steamtown as it undergoes a very slow rebuilding.
 #634924  by atsf sp

TomNelligan wrote: The preserved B&M Pacific that you might be thinking of (3713) used to be at the Boston Museum of Science, and is now in pieces at Steamtown as it undergoes a very slow rebuilding.
When was this engine moved from Boston?
 #634972  by Boston-and-Maine

atsf sp wrote:
TomNelligan wrote: The preserved B&M Pacific that you might be thinking of (3713) used to be at the Boston Museum of Science, and is now in pieces at Steamtown as it undergoes a very slow rebuilding.
When was this engine moved from Boston?
Woah, there used to be a B&M steamer at the Museum of Science? When was this?
 #634979  by Cosmo

This was from around the mid-60's till about 1986 0r '87-ish.
I remember playing on it as a kid while watching the boats in the Charles R. locks.
 #635062  by Boston-and-Maine

Cosmo wrote:This was from around the mid-60's till about 1986 0r '87-ish.
I remember playing on it as a kid while watching the boats in the Charles R. locks.
That must have been cool... I was born in 1989 so I guess I missed it, LOL...
 #635918  by CAMB.MASON

that's right it was a mogul, thanks, wasn't that the last steam engine that ran on the CM line in 56? The Pacific at the Musuem of Science was removed in the late 80's, I remember her over in the Boston yard and I think she was lashed up to a G9 and was headed for steamtown. If my memory is correct I think a local news team did a small report on it, I recall somewhere seeing a video of her leaving Boston. The Globe ran a article on her being removed from her berth which was next to the lock/gate, the photo was her being lifted by crane onto a flatcar. Wasn't one of the coaches down in Edaville a B&M business car?
 #636017  by Boston-and-Maine

Mattydred wrote:-BAR 40' steel boxcar, Loudon Rd. Concord, NH
Is there any particular reason why that box car is there on Loudon Road? Excuse my ignorance, but there was never a rail line in that part of town, was there?

And to add to this thread (not sure if it has been posted here yet), does anyone else know about the box car parked behind some building on Candia Road in Manchester? If you are heading from Auburn on the Portsmouth Branch towards Manchester, it crosses Candia Road... IIRC a short way past this crossing, there is a green box car behind a building about 10 or so feet above the rail bed... I saw it during the summer and I memorized the reporting mark and number, but I have since forgotten it... It may have been MEC, but that is just a guess...

EDIT: Ahh, I guess it was fall when MS Maps took the picture of the area; the link is below :-D

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
 #636078  by Cosmo

That looks like an old GMRR car, judging by the logo.
Interestingly enough, I saw some similar cars rusting away in the wilds of Tidewater Area Virginia about 8 years ago... talk about far from home!
 #1056124  by MBTA3247

Steamtown has caboose 4307, though not for much longer. Due to the car's terrible condition and lack of significance to the Scranton area, it's going to be scrapped once it's been thoroughly documented inside and out.

#1057250  by RGlueck

In Stockton Springs, Maine, a completely stripped out, partially refloored, B&M transfer caboose is for sale. Driving north from Searsport, on the left hand side of Rt. 1. Owner has repaired some of the floor boards. All insulation, wall boards and ceiling have been torn out and the entire car is repainted in red primer. Brake gear is in place, but no trucks are with it. Owner is asking $8500 (Ice Cream Station), but I'm certain this is negotiable. Minute fire scorch damage is still visible, but otherwise the car looks really good.

I just thought I'd mention it.
 #1059826  by toolmaker

There is/was a B&M Transfer caboose in Littleton, NH when I lived there. The owner of P&S Equipment was restoring it. If I recall correctly he drove to Lowell and trucked it to Littleton years ago. He made a second trip for the trucks. I know I have more pictures of the interior taken with the owner's permission I'll have to search my other PC to find them.
 #1059837  by scottychaos

Not sure if these are genuine B&M or not, but there are two wood passenger cars on display in Ithaca, NY..
they have been there since 1970..they are two red coaches, and both have trucks marked "B&M 10495"
Three of the visible trucks say B&M 10495! so clearly 10495 is not a road number..

I believe this coach still has both sets of trucks under it..one set has been enclosed inside the brick platform, which was built as part of the restaurant.
(no longer a restaurant, its now a bank)

More photos, and the rest of the display, can be seen here:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 28&t=66280

Scot
 #1066411  by newpylong

How about the B&M Boxcars at the old Agway on the Worcester line? I think there is at least one in Wilmington, MA near the spur to Wilmington CS.