Railroad Forums 

• Surviving equipment

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#552413  by tsrachaser

Yes, the RMNE has a very impressive collection of both B&M AND MEC equipment...
H.F.Malone wrote:No one mentions RMNE?

B&M stuff:

Two SW1s (1109 and 1110, both 1939)
One Alco RS-3 (1508, blt 1954)
One GP9 (1732, blt 1957)
One steel caboose (472, blt 1959)
One wood caboose (104406, blt 1907)
Two milk cars (1910, 1920, both blt 1957)
One 40-ft PS1 boxcar (76079, blt 1957)
One 50-ft PS1 boxcar (77843, blt 1957)
Two 40-ft drop-bottom gons (W610 and 92788, both blt 1942)
Three 40-ft wood outside braced boxcars (71870, 72249, 72480, all blt 1930)
One 60-foot open platform wood passenger car/combine (was the "Movie Car" at Steamtown)

That's 16 B&M pieces at RMNE. Any place else have more?
 #552978  by truman

H.F.Malone wrote:The steel caboose, #472, are you sure about that number?

Yes I am; why do you doubt it?

Is there a photo of the 472 or a link to one?
 #553195  by H.F.Malone

The NERAIL New England Railroad Photo Archive

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 20Railroad

The Naugatuck railroad handles an over dimension load
The Naugatuck railroad handles an over dimension transformer load for CL&P

Photographed by Scott Paribello, January 26, 2003.
Added to the photo archive by Scott Paribello, January 28, 2003.
Railroad: Naugatuck Railroad.

Shows B&M caboose 472 on the transformer move in Jan. 2003.
 #555050  by truman

Nice photo Scott.
This brings to light an interesting situation. One author states that the 472 was sold to the Raymond NH historical society in 1990. The buggy on display there carries two numbers, 432 on the cupola ends, and 21 on its side. 472 was a copy of a Pennsy N5b class built in 1932 and originally numbered in the 104700 class. 432, if that number is correct, was built in 1921 as a wood sided steel underframe buggy numbered in the 104600 series. The number 21, however would make it a 1932 N5b and indeed it does look like an N5b today. (In the 1940's the N5b's were numbered C-11-C-34) In the 1950's, a large group of buggies was sold, rebuilt so extensively that they may have been given a new construction date, and leased back to the B&M. The result of this rebuilding can be seen in the image provided my Mr. Malone. Still later, many of them would lose windows and even cupola's when they were rebuilt as transfer caboose's. As for the 432,if that is its number, I haven't yet found its rebuild date. Thats the problem with this archaic data storage system, its called paper, and takes a while to browse through. The specific information is there, I just haven't located it yet. One would think that if it was rebuilt with the rest it would look like the 472, but today it looks more like an as built N5b.
 #558210  by jlarose

Tucked away in Durham near the UNH "Grounds and Roads" facility is an ancient looking boxcar, nestled in next to the roadbed. I've noted it a couple times but I'm not entirely sure there are visible markings present. I believe there's also an additional boxcar tucked in behind the H/R and offices complex near the West Edge parking lot, although I'm not aware of any rails ever being present that far from the mainline through Durham.
 #560215  by truman

I am inclined to believe that it is indeed the 472 at RMNE as the data that puts it at Raymond NH has a number of other obvious errors.
 #563638  by Cosmo

:O
Wow!
Ok, who's got some jacks, about 70' of rail,...

and a really REALLY big trailer!??! :P
 #564660  by Rockingham Racer

The Salisbury Beach was in Boston at South Station. around July 4th, as someone earlier predicted. It's a 6-4-6 stainless steel car. Does anyone know if it went to Portland? I understand the owner is from the Fullerton, CA area.
 #565554  by shadyjay

What I can think of........

VT:
* Old 494 and a caboose at White River Jct
* A caboose in blue B&M scheme off Rt 7 in the Brandon area (norh of Rutland)
* Another caboose in both B&M blue (one side) and maroon (other side) south of Bristol on Rt 116

NH:
* Conway Scenic has F-7 #4266, plus I'm sure other B&M equipment I can't think of
* A caboose at the Potter Place station off Rt 4 in Andover

CT:
* Steam #1455, formerly at Cape Cod RR, is at Danbury Railway Museum

PA:
* 3713 under restoration at (IIRC) Steamtown?

NY/CT/MA/VT/NH/ME:
* Whatever Pan-Am/Guilford has that still is B&M... some engines perhaps? Boxcars and M of W equipment for sure.
 #578605  by gokeefe

I have been looking/searching to see if there are any remaining passenger service engines from the MEC still in existence, in particular E9's. Are there any still out there? The furthest I was able to get once was that some of MEC's engines had been transferred to the Missouri Pacific and it appeared that one of them, an E9, was of MEC heritage. Does anyone know of the disposition of MEC's diesel passenger engine fleet?
 #583133  by gokeefe

In my previous post I said that I was looking for E9's. Obviously incorrect as MEC never had any. I am still wondering if there are any F3's (A or B units) or E7's of which the MEC at one time had both that are still in existence, that at one time may have hauled MEC passenger service.
 #583155  by MEC407

According to http://www.trainweb.org/trains/MECROS.HTM all of the E7s were scrapped. It doesn't say what happened to the F3s after they were traded in to EMD, but I suspect they were scrapped as well.

The MEC 573, now Conway Scenic 573, could be regarded as a passenger locomotive -- it had (and perhaps still has?) a steam generator to provide heat for passenger cars.

Another possible candidate is the MEC 557, which was built with a steam generator but later had it removed; the roster above doesn't say what became of it after 1986.

Yet another possibility is the MEC 564, which later became MEC 470, and now belongs to the Quebec Central... but I'm not sure if that unit ever had a steam generator or not. Same goes for the 571, which later became 471, and now belongs to ORHS in Ohio.