Railroad Forums 

• Surviving Atchison Topeka Santa Fe Warbonets

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#306479  by U-Haul

How many of the famous ATSF Red (now. most pinkish) Warbonnets are left? There are about a dozen GP60Ms, a dozen or more of the -8s in four and six axle versions plus some -9s There is sprinkling of SD75Is, but all GP60Bs have been repainted. C44-9Ws 607,665, 666, the 680's except for 681 and 684, and 699 are confirmed to be still in Warbonnet. C40-8Ws 841 888 are also confirmed. GP60Ms 104, 111, 150 and B40-8Ws 528, 568 are also confirmed.
Last edited by U-Haul on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

#306635  by Engineer James

Well, I think there are a afew in Museums, otherwise roadwise, NONE. All the rest were made into CF-7's including the INFAMOUS Yellowbonnet that was made into a Celeburne Creation (ATSF Celeburne Shops) CF-7....

#306936  by Tadman

I saw a few from Amtrak #3 last night, but it was dark and they were really faded.

#307082  by Engineer James

Tadman> Umm, Amtrak #3 the Southwest Chief?AMTK has NO F-7's or CF-7's on their roster since the early 1990's. FL-9's maybe... but I did not think they had anymore of those also on their roster....

But, as far as along side.... I dd not know of BNSF having any F-7's still in Warbonnets or on their roster because of the Celeburne CF-7 Program unless another shortline has them. What ere the reporting marks on the side of them or did you see them clearly??

#309100  by U-Haul

I am more interested in the wide nosed warbonnets.

#309534  by Engineer James

Ahhh, you mean the FP45's? and the SD75M's? Those are nice, they could however really need a new coat of red.....

#318128  by Tadman

Naw, we're talking about late-model EMD and GE freight power with the warbonnet red/silver paintjob. There's still some of those roaming the system, as BNSF has never been known to do a crash-repaint in recent times. GP60's and forward for model reference. Any warbonnet F's in existance aren't owned by BNSF anyway - they're owned by museums. And the 40/45-series EMD's with full cowl and red warbonnet have been retired by now as well, with a few preserved and most traded in. IRM has one FP45 I believe.

The units I sighted were late-model GE and EMD warbonnet-painted freight units parked overnight at Argentine yard in KC, and I was on board #3 which was pulled as usually by (3) P42's in Phase whatever we're on. Outside of california or NEC you're not going to see anything else these days unless you're in in a yard like 14th street or Beech Grove.

#318939  by Engineer James

Yeah, those Pf45's were nice.

#319971  by joshuahouse

You see the more recent members of the warbonnet scheme here in Flagstaff from time to time, I didn't see any today, but the other I saw at least 2 that I can remember. I should start writing down locomotive numbers I suppose.

#321925  by Tadman

I am ticketed on #3 and 4 next week - I will keep a look out for warbonnets.

#322863  by John_Perkowski

My daily drive is along the ex CB&Q from Kansas City to Lincoln. I pick it up north of Waldron, MO, and leave it just north of East Leavenworth (Mo-45/Spur 45 intersection).

Over the past six months I've seen maybe 10 Warbonnet units from the Santa Fe and early BNSF eras. Can say most were EMDs (the cab window EMD used for wide cabs since the UP Centennial is unmistakable). I cannot say if they were GPs or SDs. Will start looking at the trucks.

#324703  by John_Perkowski

Was driving down US-169 (Broadway Extension) by Murray Yard, Northtown KC.

Staged to run North was a block of autoracks. Clearly visible, even driving, was its #2 unit: Ex ATsF Super Fleet GP something.

Hadn't even had its Railroad Roman numbers repainted to Arial 10,000 font (which seems to be BNSF's loco and car font du jour). I'm pretty sure that BNSF had not been applied in small letters underneath the numberboard.

#325331  by Tadman

As promised, my report from thanksgiving travels on the chief:

#4, LRC-CHI - I saw three of 'em, all six-axle GE's. One was 808 I believe, still in roman font.

#3, CHI-LRC - it got dark after two hours on board and I didn't see anything. I went to sleep and dreamed of trains, and maybe compiling a replica 20th Century set when I hit the jackpot - after I buy the Aston Martin, that is.

On both trips I saw plenty of the blue-yellow paint used 1971-1992 on standard roadswitchers such as SD40 or B23-7, both ubiquitous ATSF units.