Railroad Forums 

• Surfliner/San Diego fanning...

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#352750  by diesel boy

Hi All!!
I'll be spending about three days in SAN, and tried the Amtrak site to look into going from SAN/LAX, and it seems rather impossible during the last weekend! It's sold out to LA, and usually not a problem on the return. Is this typical for the weekend?
Also, the past few times I stayed in SAN, I've noticed a BNSF heading North in the late afternoon, I was wondering if this is daily, and if so, is that the train during the day?

Thanks!

#353216  by njtmnrrbuff

That's wierd. With the exception of Thanksgiving, the Surfliners aren't reserved. Amtrak's website can be off at times with info. If you can do it, go for a ride to LA. I have ridden the entire Surfliner route. You run along the ocean for most of the way, north of SAN and San Juan Cap. There is a BNSF freight that runs to San Diego, but I don't know if it runs everyday in the afternoon as the Surfline is mostly a single track railroad south of San Juan Cap, but there are sidings being added. You do 90 in many areas south of SJC.

#353760  by diesel boy

Yea...I found it rather strange myself....I figured once I got there, I would head to the station, and try and jump on board then! Thanks much for the reply!