Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#1617172  by Jeff Smith

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/20 ... urism-hub/
https://www.local10.com/news/florida/20 ... urism-hub/

ORLANDO, Fla. – Universal Orlando Resort on Thursday filed paperwork and pledged 13 acres for a commuter rail station that could link the seventh busiest airport in the U.S. with the heart of the tourism district in one of the top travel destinations in the world.

Universal filed an application with Orange County, Florida to form a quasi-governmental body that will plan, finance, construct, operate, own and maintain a new SunRail station located at the Orange County Convention Center.

Once completed — possibly as soon as 2030 — the line would connect the main corridor of Orlando’s tourism industry with Orlando International Airport.
 #1618366  by Jeff Smith

Brightline Universal Discussion: brightline-i-drive-international-drive- ... 72873.html

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/new ... brightline
After listening to a presentation extolling the benefits of the proposed Sunshine Corridor passenger train, Seminole commissioners on Tuesday agreed to support a study on the costs, ridership and feasibility of expanding SunRail and Brightline from Orlando’s airport to the region’s tourism hub.

“We’re not talking about dollars right now, we’re talking about endorsing studies,” Commissioner Lee Constantine said. “And I for one feel very strongly that we need to do that.”

For now, it’s only a concept. But after Brightline Trains begins its expected service from South Florida to the Orlando International Airport this year, its next plan is to continue extending the tracks from the airport to Tampa.
Those supporting the project say SunRail riders from Seminole would be able to connect to a passenger train to the airport, the convention center, Universal Orlando resort and other attractions along the International Drive area.
 #1629601  by JohnFromJersey

SunRail has a lot of potential. It's a shame it only goes North-South and doesn't really link with anything important, like the airport, the convention center, any of the theme parks, etc.. A stop at any of those places would definitely BALLOON SunRail's ridership

I plan on trying it out on my planned trip to Orlando in October of this year, but the fact that it only runs on weekdays will put a strain in my itinerary.
 #1630333  by Jeff Smith

Looks like they're calling it the Sunshine Corridor now: MyNews13
Proposal continues for ‘The Sunshine Corridor’ in Central Florida

ORLANDO, Fla. — A week into Brightline’s new rail service starting in Orlando, a proposal to extend SunRail service in Orange County is underway.

It’s called “The Sunshine Corridor,” and it’s focused on connecting more visitors between the Orlando International Airport and the International Drive area of Orlando.

The proposed extension would connect SunRail and Brightline from Orlando International Airport to the attractions area.

The Sunshine Corridor would connect SunRail to the east from the airport, and to the west with stops at the Orange County Convention Center in the I-Drive area, and farther down the line near Disney Springs.

Brightline would also use these new tracks in their next proposal to head toward Tampa.
 #1630462  by JohnFromJersey

They really need to just focus on getting SunRail to connect to the Airport ASAP. The rails for them to use are already there, whereas the rails for the other stops aren't at this moment, and IIRC, SunRail connections were accounted for in the terminal's train station.
 #1630494  by HenryAlan

The Sunshine Corridor would connect SunRail to the east from the airport, and to the west with stops at the Orange County Convention Center in the I-Drive area, and farther down the line near Disney Springs.
I wonder whether Brightline will pick a single, specific "Orlando Resorts" station, or would it serve as a local through this section, before expressing to Tampa?
 #1630512  by JohnFromJersey

west point wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:53 pm I believe that a parallel track will be needed as the present line that essentially runs from DeBarry - airport serves some industries and a yard that uses the "mainline " for switching.
Following that airport RoW, there are no industries along it. I believe it is owned by Orlando utilities as well.
HenryAlan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:56 am I wonder whether Brightline will pick a single, specific "Orlando Resorts" station, or would it serve as a local through this section, before expressing to Tampa?
I believe the original plan was to have it be a "local" of some sort, that would pass through different points of Orlando and through the theme parks, but due to Disney screwing the pooch (they seemed to want Brightline serve them and ONLY them, and got mad when Brightline didn't oblige), but it's likely that there will be some sort of general "Orlando Resorts" station
 #1636394  by Jeff Smith

https://ellissimon.substack.com/p/sunsh ... ens-future

Lots of details.
Sunshine Corridor Brightens Future for Two Florida Passenger Lines

Brightline, SunRail Would Share Route From Orlando Airport to Disney Springs

Two Florida passenger railroads are counting on a proposed $2 billion, 16-mile rail line called the Sunshine Corridor to shape their futures. Brightline wants it as the first leg of its extension from Orlando International Airport to Tampa. Commuter carrier SunRail would use the line to serve the airport, Orange County Convention Center, theme parks, and International Drive.

If built, the Sunshine Corridor would enable many of the 100,000 commuters who work in the area to leave their cars home. It would also create a new ground transportation option for air travelers and Brightline passengers going to downtown Orlando and Kissimmee.

The Sunshine Corridor would significantly improve Central Florida’s transportation network and ultimately connect Tampa, Orlando, and Miami, Florida’s three largest metropolitan areas. It would provide more mobility options for residents, workers, and visitors.
 #1638187  by Jeff Smith

Project website: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/40 ... 6cc4a072cd
Central Florida Sunshine Corridor

A Proposed Alternative Alignment for Rail in Central Florida
The Sunshine Corridor Program includes expanding the existing SunRail commuter rail service to connect to Orlando International Airport (MCO), then west to the Orange County Convention Center, then southwest to South International Drive, and potentially the Disney Springs areas. Ultimately, it would provide direct transfers to the privately operated Brightline intercity passenger rail system connecting Miami and Orlando, with a proposed connection to Tampa in the future.
The schematic below provides a general illustration of the proposed rail service operations.

The green line represents the existing SunRail Commuter service from DeLand to Poinciana.
The blue line illustrates a proposed commuter rail services from Lynx Central Station to Orlando International Airport, and then a segment from the Orlando International Airport to Kissimmee.
The orange line illustrates the proposed Sunshine Corridor from the Orlando International Airport to the Convention Center, then southeast to South International Drive and Disney Springs area.

And a [urlhttps://www.railwayage.com/news/central-florida ... s-forward/]RailwayAge.com[/url] article.
 #1638736  by NaugyRR

I'm not quite sure how well Amtrak would fit in with the other two corridor users, especially with Brightline filling in the intercity/regional niche.

Negotiating cross-ticketing between Brightline and SunRail would probably be the better way to go, giving passengers on the long distance trains connections to the tourist destinations in central Florida.
 #1639078  by JohnFromJersey

Also, the Sunshine Corridor, I assume, is for rapid-transit purposes. Amtrak trains in Florida do not just operate in Florida, in fact, all Amtrak trains in Florida originate from/head to NYC (and lots of other points North), and usually get frequently delayed because of that.

A delay an Amtrak train had in the Carolinas could screw up scheduling on the Sunshine Corridor. That being said, it would be nice to see Amtrak, Brightline, and SunRail share the Orlando International Airport station. You don't see too many true "union" stations anymore, outside of the Northeast