Railroad Forums 

• Summer Jobs/internships?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#773081  by Batman2

As I've mentioned on previous occasions, I want to get into transportation as a long-term goal, but I'm fairly stuck in the wrong major for now. So I'm trying to build experience so I can put that on my resume when I apply for a graduate program. Anyways, I'm in Chicago during this upcoming summer, does anyone have any recommendations for places I should look to for a potential summer job/internship? Thank you (preemptively)
 #773659  by ridintherails

yes and no.... PM me, I might be able to help you out.
 #774866  by Otto Vondrak

Batman2 wrote:As I've mentioned on previous occasions, I want to get into transportation as a long-term goal, but I'm fairly stuck in the wrong major for now. So I'm trying to build experience so I can put that on my resume when I apply for a graduate program. Anyways, I'm in Chicago during this upcoming summer, does anyone have any recommendations for places I should look to for a potential summer job/internship? Thank you (preemptively)
Go volunteer at an operating railroad museum if you want to get a taste of railroading experience (I'm being very serious). Railroads do not hire "summer interns" unless there's an opening in a clerical office somewhere.

-otto-
 #775332  by Cowford

Not true Otto! Most if not all of the class 1s have coop/internship positions, and if you're in Chicago, railway suppliers do as well. Here's a link to NS's page:

http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nscorp/ ... 20Program/

PS: figure out what you want to do before talking to the roads, i.e., operations, marketing, accounting, etc. They'll want to see that.
 #778076  by atsf sp

Certain places do not. CSX yards will not hire you unless you are in for a long term position. I tried to get a job for the summer at a yard in Boston but they said only long term employees.
 #779220  by Cowford

Note sure what kind of job you were applying for, but CSX does hire interns, etc. but you're not going to find such a position going to the local yard office. These are typically applied for/filled through the corporate offices of the roads.
 #779230  by Otto Vondrak

Cowford wrote:Not true Otto! Most if not all of the class 1s have coop/internship positions, and if you're in Chicago, railway suppliers do as well.
Good to know, thanks for correcting me. We should probably note that these co-ops and internships are available to college students only.

-otto-
 #875136  by wilmette2008

Anyone know how I could get a internship with a RR? Preferably Union Pacific Commuter Operations, so I would like to know if I could go through the main HR or dose commuter operations have a separate HR? If that dosen't work I would do Metra (the commuter railroad in the Chicago area.) In the interest of self disclouser I have a LD (learning disability) and might at least at the beginning require a job coach. How this affect me in interviews and getting the internship? Please let me know thank you. lease let me know thank you.
 #875444  by railman616

Railroads do not have internship forTrain & Engine service positions. The only positions that have internship are management positions and most require a college degree. What position are you looking for?
 #875632  by Cowford

"The only positions that have internship are management positions and most require a college degree."

More accurately, the internships available are typically for college students (both graduate and undergraduate).

This issue has been discussed in prior threads. I'd suggest you look back in this forum for more information. And with respect... be more careful with spelling/grammar in any communication with a prospective employer.
 #875789  by jz441

wilmette2008 wrote:In the interest of self disclouser I have a LD (learning disability) and might at least at the beginning require a job coach. How this affect me in interviews and getting the internship?
With respect, railroads no not hire people with LD. Railroad is a very unique industry that requires attentiveness, quick decision making and ability to retain large quantity of information. You can always apply and see what happens.
 #923075  by murt

Hi guys,
I was thinking of creating a new post but found this one. I'm finishing my first year in a 2-year Electronics program at an accredited community college.
I'm looking for contact points at railroads that would take on an unpaid intern in their signals and communications department. If you work for a shortline/
regional, or are familiar with someone working for one, and could help me with a point person to send my resume to, please private message me.
Thanks for any help you can give
 #923940  by Engineer Spike

I have a friend who is an electrical engineer. He graduated in a recession, and could not find a job in his career field right away. He volunteered at a public radio station, working on their equipment. A museum might be your option, in the railroad field. Working on crossing protection and radio equipment may set you up for a signal department job on a commercial railroad.
 #924136  by Deval

It's amazing how many people in my office started off with "a summer job on the railroad" and are still there, 15+ years later!
 #1566794  by mcgrath618

Good afternoon,

I pose the same question as the OP. I attend Drexel University, but I'm living in Chicago at the moment. I'm majoring in Civil Engineering with a focus in Transportation Engineering, and I am wondering if anyone knew anywhere I could go looking.

I've already applied to the CTA and Metra, but have heard back from neither.