Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#67670  by NJTransitFan

In my opinion, I think these are the routes that the MTA should be considering for 2005 and beyond, if its possible:

5 Train- Eliminate rush hour service from East 180 Street to Nereid Avenue and just make Dyre Avenue the northern terminus at all times.

G Train- Service should run from Court Square, Queens to Smith- 9th Streets at all times.

C Train- Service should run from 168 Street, Manhattan to Rockaway Park- Beach 116th Street at all times. This would provide an extra to JFK Airport.

V Train- Service should be extended from 2nd Avenue to Church Avenue in Brooklyn during the weekdays, while on the weekends service should be scaled back to its old terminal of 2nd Avenue on the Lower East Side.

J Train- Service should run from Jamaica Center to Broad Street at all times.

Z and 9 Trains- Service should be elimanted on both lines and service should be handed to the J and 1 trains, respectively.

#67709  by JayMan

1. Riders on upper White Plains Rd will scream if they lose their express service. No do.

2. I think this idea is in the works.

3. Probably not enough trainsets to operate this service. Also not probably in the TA's budget at this point to operate full-time A express service.

4. Good idea, except not enough cars to allow this.

5. Not sure about this.

6. Well, I think the Z skip-stop does work, but the 9 really is useless and all 9 trains should be converted to 1 trains.

#67732  by Allan

There isn't sufficient ridership on the weekends or on weekdays after 8 or 9 PM to warrant sending the J down to Broad St at all times (as it used to be). The #4 and #5 trains are only a block away on Broadway and the transfer at Brooklyn Bridge/Chanbers St is a relatively easy one.

#67874  by 7 Train

G Train- Service should run from Court Square, Queens to Smith- 9th Streets at all times
Being strongly considered, but I oppose it. It will put more load on the G and V Queens Blvd locals.

#67991  by sodusbay

Disagree about the C. JFK service is faster via the E in any case for all of Bronx, upper and midtown. I've compare the timings from PABT (my usual transfer point) to JFK via E/Airtrain and A/airtrain, the 1st is about 10 minutes faster. The Airtrain runs very fast down the middle of the v. Wyck whereas it has an additional stop at long-term parking from Howard Beach.

So I think current A is good enough for Brooklyn/lower Manhattan to JFK traffic.

As for the C, what really needs to be done is extend it to Lefferts as a local, and have the Rock A bypass Hudson and Boyd (80th and 88th to you non-Ozone Parker's). Even though the population density is increasing there, there is no reason why these stations should have more serivice than ENY (Liberty, Shepard, van Siclen) or the outer Lefferts (Oxford and Greenwood). Grant Ave. is near the big housing projects and could stay an express stop.

We have to think about the cost of more service (wear and tear on the cars). Many times outside of rush hour I've stood on the platform at Boyd Ave. and been the only passanger for which a huge 10-car train of R46's stops. Think of what that costs!

#67992  by sodusbay

Sorry, forgot to add that alternate A's would short-turn at Euclid.

#68355  by NJTransitFan

I see most of the guys here, don't like the idea of extending the C to Rockaway Park. But, I like the idea of having the C operating local after Euclid and going to Lefferts Blvd. & making the A operating express to Far Rockaway.