Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1305376  by BlendedBreak

Why cant train operators bring trains to a smooth stop? why is it that the hit the ends of platforms at track speed and then slam on the brakes 50ft before the end of the platform?? is this what they are trained to do or is it just laziness?
 #1305503  by Fan Railer

BlendedBreak wrote:Why cant train operators bring trains to a smooth stop? why is it that the hit the ends of platforms at track speed and then slam on the brakes 50ft before the end of the platform?? is this what they are trained to do or is it just laziness?
What a waste of time it is to brake smoothly in the subway. I like my stops fast and hard lol. Save the comfort for commuter rail and amtrak.
 #1305554  by Gerry6309

Fan Railer wrote:
BlendedBreak wrote:Why cant train operators bring trains to a smooth stop? why is it that the hit the ends of platforms at track speed and then slam on the brakes 50ft before the end of the platform?? is this what they are trained to do or is it just laziness?
What a waste of time it is to brake smoothly in the subway. I like my stops fast and hard lol. Save the comfort for commuter rail and amtrak.
Come to Boston where ATO makes the trains slow to 25 mph long before the platform. And I hope that your bus isn't due to leave when you arrive at Ashmont and the switch beyond the station is set to cross the train over. May as well sit down and do the crossword…

Give me New York - anywhere but the L!
 #1305882  by Kamen Rider

actually the L in automatic operates no differently than a human. It enters the station at speed and decelerates within the 480 feet.
 #1306287  by Gerry6309

Kamen Rider wrote:actually the L in automatic operates no differently than a human. It enters the station at speed and decelerates within the 480 feet.
What is the top allowable speed? In Boston it can be 25, 40 or 50. 40 is most common, but it is never reached on the south end of the Orange Line as stations are too close together. Downtown segments Back Bay to North Station and Park Street to South Station get a max of 25.
 #1306400  by Fan Railer

Gerry6309 wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:actually the L in automatic operates no differently than a human. It enters the station at speed and decelerates within the 480 feet.
What is the top allowable speed? In Boston it can be 25, 40 or 50. 40 is most common, but it is never reached on the south end of the Orange Line as stations are too close together. Downtown segments Back Bay to North Station and Park Street to South Station get a max of 25.
NYCT CBTC max speed is 45 mph, iirc.
 #1307582  by keithsy

Lack of good training in favor of "customer service." Hell with customer service. Safety and professional operation come first and only.
 #1307583  by keithsy

Gerry6309 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
Come to Boston where ATO makes the trains slow to 25 mph long before the platform. And I hope that your bus isn't due to leave when you arrive at Ashmont and the switch beyond the station is set to cross the train over. May as well sit down and do the crossword…

Boston's bad as NY. They learned from us. They used to be the best in the US and tie 1st place with Toronto. Neither, no more.
 #1315469  by keyboardkat

Gerry6309 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:

The LI really isn't that bad, believe me!
 #1315517  by F40

No, actually motormen are trained to operate the train as smoothly as possible. They use the analogy "would you want your mother to enjoy the ride" or something to that effect. If you stand in the hind end of station platforms, you can often encounter the motorman who has "gunned it" and just begins to slow down over the 600 foot platform (which is entirely do-able). Odds are someone will always be lazy and not heed this tip, leaving a bad feeling for the riders.