Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#146983  by AznSumtinSumtin

I'm gonna go railfanning this Saturday. And I wanna know what places I should avoid or check out. I also wanna know if there are any good(and cheap) places to eat that are close to a subway stop(besides McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc.).

#146993  by Robert Paniagua

I reccomend going down the A train to Broad Channel, then switching to the S train there (Rockaway Park Shuttle) to Rockaway Park. There, when you leave the train and station, make a right downthere and then go past a set of lights, then to your left where you'll find the Rockaway Sunset Diner, it's a nice place to eat, conveniently locasted near the Rockaway Park Subway Stop.

#147000  by Allan

I recommend going to Stillwell Av/Coney Island (the D or F trains are elevated in that section of Brooklyn and have some nice views but you can take the N or Q if you want). Just before the D, F and N gets to CI they pass the massive Coney Island Yards (and Maintenance shops). You can get some good photos. The Q doesn't provide a great view because it comes from east of the facility. The best elevated view is on the F just after the Avenue X station. The best ground level views are on the D or N.

The entire terminal has been completely rebuilt and has a canopy over the tracks & platforms similar to the ones seen in European rail terminals.

Where to eat in CI? Nathan's Famous. The world's best hot dogs. Located across the street from the subway terminal.

#147274  by arrow

Taking the 1 train uptown is nice for awhile. At 125 St you get to come outside. You won't see that anywhere else in Manhattan. Not to mention that the viaduct the train is traveling on there is beautiful. Also, a few of the stations north of there (168 St for sure) are beautful deep-bore stations with arched ceilings and the rare cross-OVER with the lamp posts.

As far as what to avoid, I would say avoid the entire L.
 #147841  by Head-end View

Don't forget the 7 line, one of the best in the city. Almost the entire section of it thru Queens is elevated, and it goes thru generally safe territory, at least during the day. And going towards Flushing you should still get a good front window view, as the corner cabs face that direction. (last I rode it) Towards Manhattan you might be able to see thru the window in the full-width cab. :-D
 #148545  by F40

Head-end View wrote:Don't forget the 7 line, one of the best in the city. Almost the entire section of it thru Queens is elevated, and it goes thru generally safe territory, at least during the day. And going towards Flushing you should still get a good front window view, as the corner cabs face that direction. (last I rode it) Towards Manhattan you might be able to see thru the window in the full-width cab. :-D
You mean towards Manhattan is the railfan window. Towards Flushing is the full-width cab. (unless they changed that for some reason)
 #148552  by Head-end View

F40: they reversed the direction of the cabs many months back. It caught me by surprise! Last I rode it the corner cab/railfan window was toward Flushing and the full-width cab faced Manhattan. What a bummer! Has anyone here rode the #7 lately? Are they still configured that way? :(

Also: See my post on this subject on page 2 of this board, entitled "7 Flushing Line full-width cabs". :wink:

#148654  by Robert Paniagua

Taking the 1 train uptown is nice for awhile. At 125 St you get to come outside. You won't see that anywhere else in Manhattan. Not to mention that the viaduct the train is traveling on there is beautiful. Also, a few of the stations north of there (168 St for sure) are beautful deep-bore stations with arched ceilings and the rare cross-OVER with the lamp posts.

I like that stretch too, that's the line that passes by my Uncle's apartment. I've also been on 168th street, reminds me of a typical WMATA Washington Metrorail Station, arched and high. I also like the 125th Street flyover, it reminds me a bit of the Washington Street Elevated Orange Line in Boston between Dudley and Egleston, since the trackage goes unusually high above the street. Also 125th Street is nearly identical to Egleston in terms of height from the street.

#149160  by F40

Smith-9 Sts is the highest elevated point in the Subway system (80 or so odd feet above street level). You have a nice view of lower Manhattan from there. 191 St on the 1 is IIRC the deepest station in the system (there are runners up that is about 100 ft below street level i.e. Roosevelt Island on the F) and surprisingly, the subway becomes en El right after 191 St.

Be sure to check out the El's in the Bronx (1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 trains). Pelham Parkway has incandescent lighting on platforms (as regular lighting. no flourescents), the peaceful Sea Beach El (N train) in Brooklyn is something worth traversing through (as well as the other Brooklyn El's), and the R143's on the L and sometimes the M lines. The A train going to the Rockaways (there are two branches - Far Rockaway and Lefferts, so be sure to take the one to Far Rockaway) is scenic without question. A nice sunny day would help. And the Rockaways have two branches as well (one is served by the shuttle during non-rush hours) so be sure to check them both.