Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#51013  by rcbsd45

A subway motorman has been arrested on charges that he let a female passenger drive a train and molested her, police said.

Ruben Petrus, 43, was arrested Tuesday on charges of sex abuse, reckless endangerment and unlawful imprisonment, police said. No further details were immediately available, said Detective Bernard Gifford, a police spokesman.

Transit Authority spokesman Paul Fleuranges said Petrus violated a number of security protocols and said his actions were ``unacceptable.''

``He will not be in control of a New York City subway anytime soon if at all,'' he told the New York Post for Wednesday editions
 #51018  by chuchubob

Story from the New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/28168.htm

Excerpts, in case the story becomes inavailable:
He coaxed her into the motorman's booth at the 42nd Street station, the sources said.

She told cops that Petrus allowed her to take control of the train — with her operating it while he stood behind her.

At some point during the express' jaunt, Petrus allegedly began to fondle the teen.

She was not comfortable with his come-ons and tried to leave, one source said, adding that Petrus eventually allowed her to do so.

#51132  by Reddy Rocker

It's a shame that a yound woman lcould be molested by such a sick idiot. I think they did the right thing by firing him as it was inappropriate. Inappropriate regardless of the age of the victim.

#51245  by Robert Paniagua

That's right Karl, I agree, he's an idiot, that motorperson.

However, slightly off-topic, but if I were riding the subways, and if an operator offers to let me enter the cab, I woudn't hesitate to do so, especially if the consists were an R44 or higher up, but I feel kinda leery about accepting an offer to "drive that train". I would, but then again, I may have some reservation about it. Although I remember a poster here did get a chance to drive a two-car train of 01400s from JFK/Umass (then known as Columbia) to Ashmont back in late 1980. That must have been something for him.

Seriously though, I think there should be a change in policy, including opening up the cab door windows on the R44 > cars, thus purging away that "fuzzy material" so that one can see if Transit employees are doing stuff they shouldn't be doing.