Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1226500  by uzplayer

Op ed piece in The Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/exte ... -1.1504464
Over the past three years, the mayor’s office, working with a bi-state multi-agency task force, has studied a plan to extend the No. 7 line through a new tunnel under the Hudson River, connecting it to the Lautenberg train station in Secaucus, New Jersey.
There, it would become the transit connection of choice for many of the millions of New Jersey commuters each day, linking this key workforce seamlessly to the Hudson Yards, Bryant Park, Grand Central Station, Long Island City and Flushing — and giving Queens riders direct access to New Jersey as well.
 #1228806  by #5 - Dyre Ave

With Bloomberg leaving office in 47 days, I don't think this proposal is going to move any further than it already has, unless Govs. Christie and Cuomo want to take it up. I get the feeling DeBlasio is going to push for subway expansion within the city far more than extensions that leave the city limits. Between DeBlasio's populist stance and the strong possibility of East Harlem's Melissa Mark-Viverito replacing Christine Quinn as City Council Speaker, there will be a stronger push from the city to get at least Phase 2 of the 2nd Ave Subway built.
 #1231533  by Patrick Boylan

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/pas ... channel=62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think it really says much, all I see is some NJ government committee says it's a good idea to extend, but doesn't say who's going to pay
 #1231940  by Thomas

But why are NJ Politicians more interested in investing in the Seven Subway Extension than the Gateway Project?
 #1231984  by Patrick Boylan

What makes you think they're more interested in investing in the 7 to NJ than Gateway? Did you read something that says they're interested AT ALL in investing in the 7? As I said in my post, all I see is some NJ government committee says it's a good idea to extend, but doesn't say who's going to pay. That doesn't sound like investing to me. Where have you read that they're interested in investing?
 #1231989  by lirr42

I find the idea of New Jerseyans favoring the (7) extension over Gateway preposterous. The latter would give them more direct service from stations near their homes right into the city. The (7) extension would not add any additional service and would not relieve cramped conditions on many of the trains. It would only slightly alienate crowding on that final stretch between SEC and NYP.
 #1232004  by Patrick Boylan

O great Lirr, ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8, ALIENATE means to make people more like aliens.
I bet you wanted to say AMELIORATE, which means to make people more like Emily.
 #1232008  by Thomas

lirr42 wrote:I find the idea of New Jerseyans favoring the (7) extension over Gateway preposterous. The latter would give them more direct service from stations near their homes right into the city. The (7) extension would not add any additional service and would not relieve cramped conditions on many of the trains. It would only slightly alienate crowding on that final stretch between SEC and NYP.
I just hope that once Bloomberg leaves in January, that the Gateway Project will become more of a reality. Many people believe that the Seven Extension enables more people to get to East Midtown. But, if the Gateway Project gets built, than NJ Commuters can still take NJ Transit to Penn Station--and then transfer to the (E) Train to East 53rd Street. (Remember, many people who currently use the (E) Train between Penn Station and East 53rd Street during Weekday Rush Hours are currently LIRR Riders who will most likely stop using the (E) Train once East Side Access opens for revenue service in just a few years).

I believe that Bloomberg is really fighting for the Seven Subway Extension to Secaucus because he knows that it will serve the Hudson Yards Neighborhood--where a lot of development is occurring. I just wonder how the future De Blasio Administration will address the trans-hudson capacity crisis...
 #1232104  by Tommy Meehan

The plan to extend the No. 7 service to Secaucus is primarily aimed at New Jersey bus riders not NJ Transit rail commuters. It is planned as a way to serve commuters in northern Hudson County who currently have no convenient rail transportation to Manhattan. A key motivation is the fact both the Lincoln Tunnel and the Port Authority Bus Terminal are already at capacity at rush hour. How will future growth in ridership be accommodated? These facts are why New York City is convinced both the state of New Jersey and the Port Authority would be willing to participate. Both New Jersey and the Port Authority have joined in the studies.

Two years ago Governor Christie said:
New Jersey will “do our share” if New York state and the city contribute to the financing, Christie said in a radio interview. “All of this will be able to come together.”
I have no reason to think Christie no longer feels this way.

A major problem I see with this project is that it will undoubtedly take many years to bring to completion. Because a lot of the support is political the support may change over time as various government officials leave office and are replaced by new persons. Already we see this in New York City. Mayor Bloomberg has been the project's most vocal supporter. Will the new mayor support this idea? He seems committed to improving subway service in the outer boroughs and improving NYCT bus service. I'm not sure where he stands on the 7 extension.

Even if he supports it, the city has some major financial hurdles to get over in the next few years. De Blasio may not be able to find money to extend the 7 to New Jersey.
 #1232318  by FRN9

Rather than extending the 7 train to NJ, what about extending the HBLR into Manhattan to a newly renovated Port Authority building with many platforms.

Furthermore, HBLR could be extended into Staten Island, perhaps even taking over SIRR service, which could then be extended via NJ to Port Authority, providing "Subway" service to Manhattan for Staten Island residents.

Service into Manhattan would provide the rationale necessary to vastly improve the reach of the HBLR network.

Furthermore, a new bus terminal could be still created at Secaucus Junction with the HBLR extended to this station. Bus passengers could alight and choose to take either HBLR to Port Authority or NJT/AMT North or South.

This would accomplish the goal of reducing the load on the Lincoln tunnel and greatly improve the transportation connectivity in the region.
 #1232330  by Tommy Meehan

Extending HBLR you don't have an NYCT connection. The train only goes to the West Side. At any rate the major problem with it is, none of the agnecies involved have proposed it.

Btw, there already is a large bus terminal at Secaucus, served by about ten routes.
 #1232340  by FRN9

Tommy Meehan wrote:Extending HBLR you don't have an NYCT connection. The train only goes to the West Side. At any rate the major problem with it is, none of the agnecies involved have proposed it.

Btw, there already is a large bus terminal at Secaucus, served by about ten routes.
The connection would be to the A,C,E,1,2,3,7,S,N,R,Q trains.

Furthermore, perhaps the expansion of the HBLR network would mean that many could board LR directly without the need for a bus. Moreover, many people now live in areas where there is HBLR, but take the bus to get to Manhattan.
 #1232367  by Tommy Meehan

Tommy Meehan wrote:Extending HBLR you don't have an NYCT connection. The train only goes to the West Side.
FRN9 wrote:The connection would be to the A,C,E,1,2,3,7,S,N,R,Q trains...
I know PABT has subway service. I meant by boarding a 7 train in Secaucus you're already in the NYCT system. You don't have to pay another fare. When you ride twice-a-day every weekday that's a consideration. You have a one-seat ride to 5th Avenue & 42nd Street or to Grand Central. The estimated running time to Grand Central is sixteen minutes.

I guess the major problem with the idea is, no one at any of the agencies has proposed it.
 #1232389  by FRN9

Tommy Meehan wrote:
Tommy Meehan wrote:Extending HBLR you don't have an NYCT connection. The train only goes to the West Side.
FRN9 wrote:The connection would be to the A,C,E,1,2,3,7,S,N,R,Q trains...
I know PABT has subway service. I meant by boarding a 7 train in Secaucus you're already in the NYCT system. You don't have to pay another fare. When you ride twice-a-day every weekday that's a consideration. You have a one-seat ride to 5th Avenue & 42nd Street or to Grand Central. The estimated running time to Grand Central is sixteen minutes.

I guess the major problem with the idea is, no one at any of the agencies has proposed it.
Here's a simple solution: Merge the fair infrastructure of PATH, NYCTA and HBLR. Like the zones of London you can pay extra for a multi-area pass. It can be part of the upgrade to RFID. It would be like EasyPass is for transit. With the extension of HBLR to Staten Island it would make extra sense.

The fact that it hasn't been proposed is not a problem. Perhaps the people in a position to propose such things read railroad.net.
 #1232392  by R36 Combine Coach

Tommy Meehan wrote:Extending HBLR you don't have an NYCT connection. The train only goes to the West Side. At any rate the major problem with it is, none of the agnecies involved have proposed it.

SEC is a major rail hub (the former Erie lines to Bergen/Rockland counties meeting the Newark Division and Midtown Direct service, all NJT lines but ACL and RVL), but in terms of buses, only #2, 78, 129 and 329. #2 is a Jersey City local, #78 is a connector to Newark Penn Station intended mainly for the UPS terminal in Secaucus, #129 to PABT and #329 local shuttle to Harmon Cove (added after the Harmon Cove station on Bergen Line closed in 2003).