Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#39633  by jspsh

does anyone know if subway service that broadsides penn station is going to be delayed or disrupted?

#39944  by Robert Paniagua

Well, it will be nothing like the MBTA in Boston which was disrupted with post 9-3/11 security measures, although some entrances that lead directly to the MSG area may have to be closed off to all civilian use, that's all I know.

#41663  by GP38

Are they going to be closing Penn Station to people trying to get off the subway during the convention?

#41722  by The Caternary Type

That's what we all want to know

#45792  by jspsh

i heard they were gonna divert more cops from other duties to patrol the subways during GOP convention

#45821  by M1 9147

I was in the subway yesterday, and it seems that there is at least one cop per station, so our railfan abilities will be distracted for quite a while while this mess goes on.

#45823  by jspsh

im expecting something like a cop for every three subway cars during convention times

#45840  by efin98

So what? They are on the trains and in the stations. Unless you are committing a crime you have nothing to fear from them being around and visible. If anything it's a plus for the system, police presence is something that people complain about constantly so if anything it's a good thing for them to be out and about. What's the problem with them being there?

#45900  by 7 Train

Here is the official notice from the NYCT site:

Due to the convention, areas of Penn Station are restricted. There are also street closings that will cause bus reroutes. Follow signs, arrows, and the directions of MTA police and NYC Transit staff who are there to assist you. Subway entrance restrictions at Penn Station.

Subway entrance restrictions at Penn Station.

7 Av/32 St AMTRAK, LIRR, NJ Transit (via 6 Av/32 St only)
7 Av/33 St (NE & SE corners open)
7 Av/34 St AMTRAK, LIRR, NJ Transit
8 Av/34 St
8 Av/35 St

8 Av/33 St
7 Av/33 St (NW corner closed)

#46061  by chuchubob

jspsh wrote:im expecting something like a cop for every three subway cars during convention times
On Sunday morning when my NJT train (Trenton to New York) entered Newark, there were more police on the platform than one for every car.

Every car was searched (simultaneously) before we were permitted to proceed. I seemed to cost us four or five minutes, some of which we regained by running faster than usual toward Secaucus.

#46081  by jspsh

chuchubob wrote:
jspsh wrote:im expecting something like a cop for every three subway cars during convention times
On Sunday morning when my NJT train (Trenton to New York) entered Newark, there were more police on the platform than one for every car.

Every car was searched (simultaneously) before we were permitted to proceed. I seemed to cost us four or five minutes, some of which we regained by running faster than usual toward Secaucus.
4-5 minutes stop at newark just for searching every car? thats better than what i expected. thanks for the info, ill keep that in mind next week when i travel to new york.