Railroad Forums 

• Subway Delay Reports and Discussion (2011-2017)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1440980  by DaWolf85

deathtopumpkins wrote:But is this work preparation for that? I'd have thought it was already usable in its current state, considering they already regularly run test trains on it.
I can't imagine it gets as regular of maintenance as the other tracks. Possibly it just really needed an overhaul. Of course, there are multiple rotten ties on both of the main tracks near Sullivan, so I'm not sure how much worse the track conditions could get...
They were doing some renovations to the second platform at Community College a while back as well. Possibly related?
 #1440996  by dieciduej

deathtopumpkins wrote:Any idea what's going on with the third track on the Orange Line? Sometime around last weekend orange construction fencing appeared all along it, with a bunch of construction equipment staged just behind a derail at the hi-rail pad just north of Community College. Was looking at it again this morning, and the third rail has been removed between Community College and Sullivan, and there was a work crew doing something on the bridge over the commuter rail (with an accompanying painfully slow speed restriction). Is this just third rail replacement?
From what I heard it is part of the Wellington Carhouse/Yard expansion project.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/About ... -12-17.pdf

They have ripped up the test track across from the Wellington SB platform already. The test track from Community College to just north of Wellington I believe is finally being replaced. I far as I know, with exception of the Dana Bridge, it is all original 1974/75 vintage. Take a look at the test track at the Wellington, hollow ties and shrubbery growing within the gauge. I am not sure if it is fully ATO compliant. Although it is funny they installed new third rail heaters on the test track and its ripped out now.

But I am digressing from the delay thread.

JoeD
 #1443908  by deathtopumpkins

Type 7 3684 wrote:Shuttle buses replacing Green Line service between Lechmere and North Station due to Boston Fire Department activity.
Electrical fire at Haymarket.
 #1443914  by Type 7 3684

Not a great day for the T...
Shuttle buses replacing Red Line between Broadway and Andrew. Broadway Sta is temporarily closed and service is bypassing the station

Edit: Broadway temporarily closed. Trains will bypass the station both ways. Please use Route 7 buses from S Station for service to South Boston

I guess someone climbed up a crane in South Boston, creating a large EMS/Police response. Check out the universal hub twitter for updates
 #1444671  by jwhite07

Red Line busing early this morning due to broken down work equipment at Andrew. Braintree branch running as far as JFK/UMass with shuttle buses to Park Street, and the T is apparently intending to bus the entire Ashmont Branch to Park Street. I "enjoyed" a very wet and windy walk from Park Street to South Station rather than waiting around for the promised shuttle buses to come, and saw zero of same (and zero MBTA personnel) on the street at Park Street, Downtown Crossing, or South Station. Good luck, Red Line riders, and pray they get this equipment out of the way ASAP.

Question - I seem to recall, and Vanshnookenraggen's map also seems to indicate, that there is a crossover just south of Broadway. Why the heck not use that one rather than attempting to bustitute all the way to Park Street? Something about how the traction power blocks are located maybe?
 #1444703  by BostonUrbEx

Yes, it has to do with the power blocks. The real question would seem to be why they wouldn't have been running JFK-Ashmont if they could run JFK-Braintree. I have a theory, but can't really figure out why they did that.
 #1445084  by jonnhrr

BostonUrbEx wrote:Yes, it has to do with the power blocks. The real question would seem to be why they wouldn't have been running JFK-Ashmont if they could run JFK-Braintree. I have a theory, but can't really figure out why they did that.
There is a single crossover south of JFK/UMass on the Ashmont branch so it would have been operationally possible.

Maybe because Ashmont - JFK is a shorter distance, they figured it was easier to just bus it, and easier for the passengers as a 1 seat ride to Park St.
 #1446522  by deathtopumpkins

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:What are they doing to Blandford pocket? It's marked OOS with ties chained to the middle iron and flanked by traffic cones. Broken rail, or are they scheduling a mini- work job before the Sox home playoff opener?
Must have been a quick repair job. There was a short-turning trolley parked there last night when I drove by on Comm Ave shortly after the Sox game, so it's definitely in service.
 #1446595  by Type 7 3684

According to the MBTA Transit Police Twitter, someone got hit by a train at Waban.

Alert:
Shuttle buses replacing Green Line D branch service between Reservoir and Riverside due to a medical emergency at Waban.
 #1446599  by BandA

Jorge Quiroga at 11PM on WCVB said they were busing between Eliot and "that station on Washington Street" (Woodland). They also interviewed someone who was on the train, who stated the operator locked the doors and they waited for the first responders.
Last edited by CRail on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Commenting on an employees actions based on an "eyewitness" report in a vague news story is unwise and inappropriate. This isn't a tabloid comment section, please stick to facts.
 #1446912  by CRail

Moderator's Note: The Authority has emergency procedures put in place by its management and conducts its own investigations after every incident. Please stick to facts and avoid commentary about what should have happened especially when you don't have any idea what actually did happen.