Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#14461  by Skip-Stop

The underlying issue is that if Mr. Pirmann did have the money to spend for a more modern forum, this flamage wouldn't be around. It's rather unfortunate, if people respected Dave's rules more, this wouldn't happen. :(

#14639  by R142A

Vlissengen wrote:The underlying issue is that if Mr. Pirmann did have the money to spend for a more modern forum, this flamage wouldn't be around. It's rather unfortunate, if people respected Dave's rules more, this wouldn't happen. :(
It's not the money. Forums aren't expensive. He has already said that he likes the current forum software, because it is basically up to the users to moderate themselves.

#15119  by GP38

Obviously most people also like the format of SubTalk the best out of all the other forums available. The majority of people know of this forum and the nycrail forum, yet they all stay at SubTalk. Obviously it's format is liked better than the alternatives, or the alternatives such as this site would become the more used forum.
When subtalk was closed for a few months some years back, the nycrail.com forum (also a nice little setup) became the major NYC subway forum. WHat happened when subtalk came back?....everyone left nycrail and went back to subtalk. That leads me to believe most people actually do like the format of subtalk better.

#15227  by Skip-Stop

R142A wrote: It's not the money. Forums aren't expensive.
They most certainly are. Free ones that are hosted by various companies are riddled with ads.
He has already said that he likes the current forum software,
I've never read any post by him that indicated that. If you can point me to a post...
because it is basically up to the users to moderate themselves.
That concept doesn't work, no matter how much Dave wants to believe it. As long as there is NO active moderation is present, as in any contemporary message board, you will have problems. I see so many OT threads on Subtalk, it's silly.

Therefore, I advocate going to American Pig's Boarshevik forums.

Edit - I don't mean to draw anyone away. I love these forums. :P

#15983  by arrow

This forum software is free! I use it on a site that I host on my server, it is freely available to everyone. The format here is so much better than in nycsubway.org. It's just too hard to find what you are looking for there and the format is very user unfriendly.