Railroad Forums 

• Student fleeing Hurricane Irma stuck in Raritan Yard

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1443239  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The New York Daily News has a story posted about a young college student that ended up being
stuck in the Raritan Yard after a long trip to flee Hurricane Irma...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3480234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CBS2 News made mention of this story along with a short report on their 12 noon news today...

She ended up taking a Raritan train instead of a NJCL train supposedly and then somehow was
asleep and not either awoken by the train crew or found before the train went to the yard...

After a 911 call she was rescued by the Raritan Police - who then blamed her for her predicament
and in this case rightfully so meaning she should have been more responsible for her whereabouts.

Anyone have any thoughts and did this make significant news in NJ?

MACTRAXX
 #1443256  by kilroy

This doesn't make NJT look good.

Hate to say it but unwanted vacations are coming and I think deservedly so. Can easily be seen as being a dangerous situation.
 #1443393  by truck6018

I agree to a point, that passengers ( not just her), should should be responsible for getting up when she should. This doesn't not mean the train crew will walk away from this. They should be responsible for assuring no unauthorized individuals go into the train yard.
 #1443628  by JamesRR

I fell asleep on the way into NY Penn one morning, and woke up as the train was departing for Sunnyside. I found the conductor, who at first was upset - though I remember thinking 'aren't you supposed to check the cars before closing the train up?'

I ended up riding to Sunnyside, going through the car wash, looping around, and then having to hitch a ride back on an Amtrak regional with other crew.