Railroad Forums 

• Street Running in Providence

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #124587  by ewh

Does anyone have any information when the last street running was done on Allen's Avenue in Providence? I'm guessing pre-PW. The track is mostly still in place and current street repairs keep the track open (mostly.) The port gets ship traffic to the wharfs along Allen's Avenue, but the coal trains load at the southern end of the port, not the northern end. The northern wharfs use truck traffic, not the railroad. When did Providence last see trains on the street?
 #124798  by pharmerphil54

I haven't any hard facts on this subject but the last time I saw a train on Allens Ave was in 1982-1983. P&W had just taken over the rest of Conrails lines in R.I. and operation of this track segment was delegated to their Warwick RR subsidiary. The Warwick RR was useing that ex Mud Valley GE center cab that was decked out in Rustoleum Green! I don't know for how long this arrangment lasted or when the final trip was made.