Railroad Forums 

• Strasburg Rail Road Incident 2 Nov 22

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#1609704  by WashingtonPark

west point wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:58 pm The switch stand indicator shows white on the visual. What does it show for an oncoming loco?. As well what should it have shown if switch was in proper direction?
That's a good catch. At the beginning when the engine makes a normal move the switch stand shows white, but it also shows white in the video where it runs into the work equipment.
 #1609715  by BR&P

WashingtonPark wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:26 am
west point wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:58 pm The switch stand indicator shows white on the visual. What does it show for an oncoming loco?. As well what should it have shown if switch was in proper direction?
That's a good catch. At the beginning when the engine makes a normal move the switch stand shows white, but it also shows white in the video where it runs into the work equipment.
I believe the first part of the second video was a different day. At 0.14, at the extreme right you can see a stirrup on the spur, as if a flat car or tank car is first out. No sign of the backhoe.

"Washington Park" makes a good point, the target is the same in each video. The following is speculation:

I'm guessing the trackhoe was operated by a contractor, not by Strasburg people. It's quite possible that operator did not have a switch key for the spur. It's not difficult to remove the bolt from the operating rod, and pry the points to the reverse position. In that scenario the switch STAND is not operated and the target does not change position. That's all fine as long as the operator restored the points and bolts the rod back up. Whether that's the case here, official investigation will tell.

Regardless, the ultimate responsibility is on the engineer to operate prepared to stop short of equipment, obstruction, improperly lined switch, etc. It IS very easy to get into the bad habit of relying on the target rather than the points themselves.
 #1609724  by BR&P

Bracdude181 wrote:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... %2As%2As-R
OK, my theory above was not the actual fact. I give high marks to Strasburg for admitting the mistake, yet still supporting their employees. It could have been way worse, and can serve as an "object lesson" or "teachable moment" for not only their people, but everyone within the industry.

Thanks for posting that link.
 #1609731  by MBTA3247

WashingtonPark wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:26 am
There appears to be a fixed sign several feet high positioned just ahead of the switch stand, of which we only see the plain white back. There's also a target on the switch stand itself, which is very low to the ground. I can't tell if the target appears in the first segment of that video, as it's too blurry to make out any details. I wonder if the position of the fixed sign is a contributing factor?
 #1609756  by STrRedWolf

BR&P wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:02 pm
Bracdude181 wrote:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... %2As%2As-R
OK, my theory above was not the actual fact. I give high marks to Strasburg for admitting the mistake, yet still supporting their employees. It could have been way worse, and can serve as an "object lesson" or "teachable moment" for not only their people, but everyone within the industry.

Thanks for posting that link.
There's already talk about including the crash videos in training videos and materiel with other railroads. This got talked about extensively on a Telegram rail group I'm in. This includes a compiled list (before the latest press releases and any investigation):
"Points shouldn't have been left set to the siding with an excavator on it, they should have been set for the running line and clipped.

Excavator should have been pointed the other way around

Crew should have checked the points before running through

At least one crew member should have been looking out the side of the cab during the run around and shouted to stop the second the loco didn't run the way they expected over the point

Look at the reaction - when it eventually happens

The crew were oblivious until the impact. They had time to slam the brake on and shut the regulator, yet nothing happens until the impact.

But as with all things railway related, accidents like this are prevented by a solid working practice, and OTT checking a rechecking

Assuming that excavator was in use at some point on the line, how was it controlled? Token? Possession? When the possession of the line was signed back, who was responsible for securing the point?

A well structured rule set accounts for all of those eventualities. They take longer to carry out, and it's easy to become complacent, but this sort of incident is exactly what those rules are there to prevent"
 #1609778  by John_Perkowski

justalurker66 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:26 pm The statement from the railroad was put out to end the speculation and "mob mentality". I respect the railroad for accepting the responsibility and see no need to be part of the mob.
I will believe they’ve accepted responsibility when they openly admit mistakes at the FRA hearing (you know it’s coming), and, if that equipment is third party, the insurance company ponies up no questions asked.
 #1609812  by BandA

If the backhoe crew left the switch in the wrong position, they are >50% at fault. I assume the Hi-Rail vehicle was in rail mode, which raises the issue, which "peril" covers the accident? It's not normal automotive collision coverage; vehicle was not on a road or even a driveway.

Since nobody was hurt, watching the video was almost like a cartoon. How close did they come to real damage? Is the nose of the engine cast iron or steel? Low-speed collisions like this must have been somewhat more common 100-125 years ago.
 #1609843  by justalurker66

For those who refuse to click on the link:
The excavator was placed on the stub track the previous evening for storage by the Maintenance of Way (MOW) crew working in the area. Our internal investigation has concluded that after placing the excavator on the stub track for storage, the MOW crew member failed to realign the track switch and to secure it in normal position. When running the locomotive around the passenger train on the Main Track runaround where the stub track switch is located, the locomotive crew did not notice the misaligned switch and entered the stub track at approximately 10 MPH, the speed limit for that track, striking the stationary MOW equipment and coming to a stop after a short distance. Both the excavator and locomotive incurred moderate damage.
We are cooperating with FRA as they investigate and will comply with their requirements and recommendations. Additionally, we are using this opportunity to perform root cause analysis and identify training gaps, operational monitoring practices, or other factors that may have contributed to this accident.
We do not excuse mistakes, but we acknowledge the humanity of those who make them, as we all do. We live in a world where people are judged too quickly and dismissed by many employers over minor mistakes. We intend to lead by example, helping the valuable, committed members of our team who were involved in this incident learn and grow from their actions. We ask for your consideration before joining the mob mentality of ignorant or irrational criticism. Instead, we welcome continued support from our community, railroad and otherwise.
The full statement is available at the link provided earlier in the thread.
 #1609857  by Railjunkie

Every railroader from the dawn of time has written this rule on an exam verbatim:

Control the movement to permit stopping within one half the range of vision short of:

Other trains or RAILROAD EQUIPMENT OCCUPYING or fouling the track
Obstructions
SWITCHES NOT PROPERLY LINED FOR MOVEMENT
Derail set in the derailing position
Any signal requiring a stop
AND
Look out for broken rail and misaligned track
AND
Not to exceed 20 mph outside interlocking limits and 15mph within. This applies to the entire movement unless otherwise specified in rule or instruction that requires restricted speed.

Should have MOW lined and locked the switch? Yes they should have.
Was it reported as such? We do not know.
Could this have been prevented by following the above irregardless of what MOW may or may not have done? Most likely.

This is not mob mentality this is Railroading 101
 #1609884  by Railjunkie

jurtz wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:15 pm Is the track they were operating on governed by the Restricted Speed rule? I am not familiar with the operating rules there.
If its not not made under signal indication, paper or interlocking its a speed plus be governed by. I'm guessing something similar to NORAC rules 96 97 or 98 applied here and all have restricted speed within the rule.