Railroad Forums 

• Stourbridge Railroad (Honesdale-Lackawaxen) and Proposals

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#795083  by blockline4180

lvrr325 wrote:Uhh.. scrap is up, way up, about double what it was and close to the highs of the summer of 2008...
Wonderful, oh well I guess we can kiss these DL&W MU's goodbye then...Further thinning of the remaining fleet! :(
 #795327  by SemperFidelis

Yeah, I just found out about the scrap prices today at a yard I was looking into and didn't put two and two together until looking up the forum again.

Let's hope they're not getting scrapped. I love those old MUs.
 #795331  by blockline4180

SemperFidelis wrote:Yeah, I just found out about the scrap prices today at a yard I was looking into and didn't put two and two together until looking up the forum again.

Let's hope they're not getting scrapped. I love those old MUs.

Same here... I rode them as a child when they ran out of Hoboken until 1984.... The only thing they have going for them is they have roller bearing trucks...Hopefully someone can put them on static display somewhere before the word scrap even enters into the mind!!
 #795533  by SemperFidelis

I have a meeting with Wayne Economic Development in a few days, maybe I'll bump into someone from the railway. If I do, I can ask them what their plans are.

I'm pretty sure the MUs are owned by the Economic Development people or the city, not by the railroad. I could be wrong.
 #795554  by blockline4180

SemperFidelis wrote:I have a meeting with Wayne Economic Development in a few days, maybe I'll bump into someone from the railway. If I do, I can ask them what their plans are.
Yeah, if you could that would be nice.

These cars were originally motor cars that were actually refurbished by either Conrail or NJDOT in 1979/1980. I believe at the time the seats were replaced and the cars were painted into a Red w/creme window band. I'm guessing by the time the Wayne County Chamber of Commerce obtained them in the middle 1980's they were stripped of all the electrical hardware and repainted again.
 #795707  by 56-57

From what I've seen of the cars while working on them, a good portion of the DC system's are still intact on them..

DC motor-driven air compressors, resistor grids for providing lower voltage DC to the interior lights, contactor banks for making transition, it goes on and on.. Most of this stuff is slung underneath the cars.. Removing all of it would unbalance the springing and under-weigh the cars, causing them to literally bounce to the point of hopping off of the rails.. (This is why coaches with AC equipment and/or other machinery hanging under the car are left as-is.. Otherwise new springs are needed, after a lot of calculations are done.) Basically all that's been removed were the traction motors, pantographs, and the wiring harnesses were cut when the controls were taken out of the vestibules..

Also, the current owner is as Block said, the Wayne County Chamber of Commerce.

MJK
 #796148  by bvesbc

The Official name IS Stourbridge Railway. What is your source that says otherwise??
 #797006  by J Leighty

The official name is Stourbridge Railroad. If you go on to our Yahoo group website and join our group, you can then go to our photo section and enjoy the photos that we have posted. M&E belongs to our group and gave us a copy of their new logo for the line which we have posted there. It is very colorful and will look great on any engines or rolling stock that it is applied to in the future.

Jim Leighty

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/stourbridgerailfan
 #797121  by 56-57

The Employee Time Tables that Bruce and I have say both Stourbridge Railway and Railroad. On the cover..

MJK
 #797285  by bvesbc

J Leighty wrote:The official name is Stourbridge Railroad. If you go on to our Yahoo group website and join our group, you can then go to our photo section and enjoy the photos that we have posted. M&E belongs to our group and gave us a copy of their new logo for the line which we have posted there. It is very colorful and will look great on any engines or rolling stock that it is applied to in the future.

Jim Leighty

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/stourbridgerailfan
Key word from MJK is "Employee" Anyway, Stourbridge Railroad is the name of the PREVIOUS operator of the line in queston, Dick Robey still has the rights to the name Stourbridge Railroad. We cant do business under the name of someone elses company. Yes very colorfull indeed that new logo, I will post a pic of it right after I apply it on any engines or rolling stock. Stew says it best, "telephone, telegraph, and tell a railroader" -S.E. Miller
 #797950  by 56-57

The Revel Railroad was the name used on the equipment at the failed RR themed motel in downtown Wilkes-Barre. One of the RBMN OCS Pullmans came out of there actually.. A lot of the coaches were cut up at RMDI in Pittston. The equipment has scattered hither and yon..

MJK