• Story about the CN Railroad in Ontario

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by Andrew

Back in the MId 1980s..I went to one of those Canoe Camps on Lake Temagami in Ontario Canada.

We took a trip through Wanapeti lake I believe.and then down this shallow river..forget the name of it.

We ended up on this road in a place called River Valley.We were to go back up North on this other river.......I believe it was the Sturgeon.

Next to the road.were train tracks.Being a train Buff.I decided to sleep within several feet of the traks....at the very worst...a slow moving Frieght train may come my way.no problem.

Someime during the night..I was awakened by the sound of a blaring horn.and a Very fast 65MPH plus train barreling down the tracks.Having been in the Ontario wilderness for about a month..you get used to quiet on an extreme level..so the sound of the train was more extreme than normal.I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Before we left the campsite..another train cme barreling down the tracks........it was a Canadial National.Where does this branch I am talking about run from??
  by Ken V

I'm not 100% positive but from your description it sounds like it was the original 1915 Canadian Northern Railway mainline between Ottawa and Winnipeg that you were camped beside. At the time, mid 1980's, it would have been CN Great Lakes District Alderdale Subdivision (Brent-Capreol) and would have been on the route taken by most CN trains travelling to/from Montreal/Halifax and western Canada. If that were the case, I would have expected many more trains than just those two you mentioned. This route, through Algonquin Park, was abandoned about ten years ago in favour of the one via Toronto,
  by lock4244

That line by the 1980's would have likely had 2 or 3 freight trains a day per direction. Likely a priority out of Montreal to/from Winnipeg/Edmonton and one or two freights to/from Winnipeg. I think passenger service would have been dropped by the mid-eighties. In the end, CN was running one or two per day in each direction, an intermodal and a priority. Does not surprize me to hear the speed, as it was part of the transcon mainline, and rated big power (by standards back then) of GP40-2L's and SD40's.

CN abandoned the line between Sudbury and Pembroke or Renfrew in the early 1990's, and the remainder is east to Coteau (jct. with the Toronto - Montreal main) is now the Ottawa Central Railway. Coteau - Ottawa segment is used by VIA for passenger trains.