Railroad Forums 

• Stone Train 2006

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#225260  by Long Island 7285

I agree, the more on the rails the less on the road. Maybe that wreck the other day on the LIE may have been prevented if rail freight was promoted? but who knows. I sure as hell don't like dodging trucks either.

#225320  by tushykushy

*shakes head*

Okay... I don't think having that rolling stock on the rails would've prevented that accident. That driver should have been a little more aware of his surroundings. We already know the island, especially the LIE is overly congested with trucks and what not, and rail freight is making a come back.

A lot of trucks are specifically for grocery retail and I don't know how realistic it would be for grocery chains to want to relocate and have rail service to get trucks off the road. Where I live, Farmingdale, Stop and Shop propsed to build a Super version of their grocery store right on Motor Ave on that old WW1 dump. Part of the deal was that they would clean up the dump that people managed to send into the ground years ago. They are right next to the central branch just before Main St. ROW. I think the likely hood of making a siding and getting their load via rail is very unlikely.I really think that is one industry where I think rail will have little affect on.

Now... C&D, stone, and gas is one area I really think rail will have a significant impact on (once again my view point is on the outside looking in.) I cannot tell you how much I hate sharing the lanes with trucks haulin' gas/propane bookin' it at 85MPH when I know they're running on little to no sleep.

Remember, MOST of the time truck drivers are alone. They tend to fall asleep, they need drugs to keep them awake, and they definitely aren't the safest drivers on the road. Take it from me because I deal with them day in and day out.

#226660  by bodhisattva

Does the NY&A still handle 40 tilcon cars each week? What power is used to bring it out, still 2 MP15s? Ahh brings back a lot of memories from LIRR freight days. Have fun guys,I know we did.

bodhisattva

#226678  by Nova55

2 MP15s on that train??!! Wow...
NYA had a hard time with all 4 MP15s one year didnt they..

#227039  by Scrap em Again

Two MP15's are a thing of the past, way past. They are just not up to the task anymore. The ideal power is three GP38's, with power to spare. That is not always the case though, any combination of 3 engines can be used, 2 GPs' 1 MP15 .... 1 GP 2 MP15's etc..... Sometimes 4 engines go out, but that is a rarity, usually for a power swap at Pineaire, where 1 or 2 may be swapped with power coming into the shop for service.

#227116  by jayrmli

Back when we started, 2 MP15s was enough to handle the Tilcon train. Haven't seen it attempted in quite awhile.

Once you got going through Jamaica, you'd have those engines in Run 8 all the way out to Bethpage when gravity would finally give you some help.

Jay

#227121  by tushykushy

Or better yet..... try having 2 38's haulin' 41 loads, 21 being stone and each engine taking turns at who's turn it is to over heat. I don't think I've ever crawled thru Hicksville so slow before. Mustive took 6 minutes just making that hump on track 2 going east.

"I think I can I think I can....."

#228190  by DogBert

Heads up. Just spotted P&W leaving town with empty LIRR ballast cars...

Don't know if they came in with loads or not, though I'd bet they just came down light late last night (I think I heard them, but suspect it was just track workers)

#228235  by tushykushy

Yes more stone is in store for LIRR and a potential stone train for Prima this Saturday or next Saturday from a very reliable source.

Keep your eyes pealed for 271 tonight...

#228324  by N221UA

I saw a pair of P&W engines at the East end of FPalong with 2 CP and 1 NYA MP15. It would be picture perfect if I wasn't on the M train... :-D

#228456  by emfinite

Anyone know if P&W brought the Tilcon loads to Fresh Pond tonight and if they're running to Prima tomorrow?

Joe

#228458  by Scrap em Again

Thats a big negative. The 30 will be working the Central tomorrow. Go drive Smudgeface crazy, and tell him I sent ya LOL :-)

#228581  by emfinite

MMMMMMMMM

Joe

#234438  by SD70ACECSX

And the rumor mill about the stone train starts already...lol !!! I guess its only appropiate to start asking these kind of questions then...Will be back on the Island for the Easter Holiday...is there a stone train running this Sat? If so, is it still the same time at Prima around 10 -10:30? Thanks guys as usuall and everybody have a safe and Happy Easter...

David

#234789  by Scrap em Again

Gentlemen, there is a possibility of no stone trains this year :( . Some things have arisen that I cant elaborate on. Just keep your fingers crossed!!