Railroad Forums 

• Stone arch bridge in Mechanic Falls, ME

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1064823  by trainsinmaine

A friend and I were traveling on Route 124 from Mechanic Falls to West Minot, Maine, a couple of days ago, tracing the old roadbed of the Portland & Rumford Falls Branch of the Maine Central. The ROW parallels the road. About two miles north of town, there is a beautiful and fairly sizeable stone arch bridge that originally carried the railroad across a stream. It is very near the road, perhaps seventy-five feet west of it. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Traveling home afterward, I got to thinking. I can't recall seeing a stone arch bridge anywhere else on the entire MEC system --- either on extant or abandoned ROWs. There are several such bridges in Maine, but they are on branches of the BAR and the B&M. Was this the only stone arch bridge on the Maine Central?
 #1201074  by Rich Bryant

Haven't been that way in awhile but can vaguely recall that bridge.The bridge I question is the one that you pass under on the way from Mech. Falls to Welchville. It's from the Art Deco era, a cement overpass (low clearance) that's been hit numerous times. St. L & Atlantic has their placard on it. Every time we go under I imagine a chunk of cement will dislodge from the overhead.
 #1278520  by Rich Bryant

Was actually just over on that bridge 2 hours ago (Mechanic Falls), it's spectacular. Snow mobiles use it these days by the sign, has heavy timber railings with old pipes securing them in the stone. Private property all around there, that's Bog Brook and had to cross 2 steep gorges to get to the bridge. The railroad right of way runs right through the back yard of one property and right through another house and the tracks are long gone through that particular stretch.
 #1278537  by trainsinmaine

The track was taken up in 1952. It was the original line from Lewiston/Auburn to Rumford, Qquossoc and Kennebago. Traffic that used to go through Mechanic Falls was rerouted from Leeds Junction over what had originally been the middle third of the Farmington Branch, and the section between Livermore Falls and Rumford was retained. That's making a long story short.
 #1278604  by Rich Bryant

Sounds good to me. Found a picture of the bridge but much larger than picture shows and an interesting water tower over on Rt. 26. Have seen that also but not sure if tracks ever ran there, will have to look.
Last edited by Rich Bryant on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1278696  by Rich Bryant

Nothing showing on the 1873 map of the area headed towards the Rt. 26 tower, only the Grand Trunk RR line going into Mechanic Falls and switching, going towards the bridge. Tower is on the right headed up Rt. 26 past 5 Corners (towards Welchville).

But I know for a fact of the MEC RR line that ran parallel w/Plains Rd. (reedit had wrong name) and straight up through there. The tower could be railroad. Here's photo of Poland Station (now a residence) built by MEC in 1901 (another reedit) I believe. This train would be headed in right direction to get water.

Photo was snapped from the water side and the road is right on the backside of station. Water is low and there's a dam a bit down on left out of photo. Had a gate keeper house but was washed away in a flood maybe 20 years back, never replaced. The line ran straight parallel w/Mechanic Falls line (maybe 1 mile apart) and continued on out it appears. Have cycled part of it years ago but ATV's totally trashed the cinder bed.
Last edited by Rich Bryant on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1278813  by Rich Bryant

Beautiful view, still there but haven't been that way in awhile. That is all farm land but what a strange tower for a farm. The old MEC line crosses Rt. 11 from Poland but I was never on that part only up to the road. Am seriously thinking of following up that part of the old railroad bed (on trail bike now these days), rail bed just may cut over back into the Mechanic Falls old Grand Trunk line where it runs straight LoL......
 #1278926  by Rich Bryant

Cont.- Now I cycled over to Mechanic Falls down on Rt. 11 where the line crossed from Poland, nothing at all now on the other side of the street but a house. Went back towards M.F. and down a road on the left, very swampy nothing showing of an old rail bed there either.

I'm going to say by the way the track bed is angled coming from Poland it looks like it may of connected back past M.F. headed towards Welchville to the Grand Trunk main line. The Rt. 26 water tower seems way out of the way for other than the farm, hmmm.
 #1279113  by Mikejf

Rich,

The grade crosses Route 11 about half way between Route 26 and Route 121, at an angle. Click on the following link to see the area.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.09942,- ... ONZ4Fw!2e0

This is looking from Mechanic Falls toward Poland station, which is still standing as a modified residence near the Poland Fire Department.

In Mechanic Falls, the station still exists. It is the Post Office. Drive around back of it and it will become clear, and you will be on the grade.

Mike
 #1279315  by Rich Bryant

That's the place with the same house across the street, good to have someone here that knows the area too. Have been to the old station in M.F., was a restaurant. We liked it but not sure if their still in business. Don't recall if the P.O. may of had half the building or not back then. I couldn't find a trace of anything railroad on the other side of Rt. 11 though. Think the M.F. station was on the main towards Welchville. But those tracks are still there, used LoL.

Meant to do a Birdseye of that area, will do that now.... Shows right up and where the rails crossed the Little Androscoggin is a single bridge pier in the middle of the river. Saw that when I was over there but thought it was a small island. Will have to study the view more and may find where the line intersected. Might be over by the station with the passenger service in those days.

O.K. Now where the line crossed Mitchell St., looks accessible down to the river where the pier is and would of switched in just before the station, perfect. Or may of had 2 sets of tracks sometime. Think I will try to get down there this afternoon cycling.
 #1279365  by Rich Bryant

Found it and cycled the entire thing except one short section grown up. Part of it again is a 4 wheeler trail and other sections are pristine. Was right there looking at the old pier in the middle of the Little Androscoggin standing on the town side footing. All built with those huge granite blocks. The entire road bed runs through swamps there and is raised a good 20' higher in many sections.

Also through town I walked the active line over the road and river bridges. Tried to find where the line from Poland connected but what I found was really heavy rail and a siding spanning the bridge that looked abandoned (Bing does show box cars staged on it though), no old connection remnants. I'll have to look again since it was 20 years ago but I couldn't locate the Station Restaurant or any station. The post office must of moved to a different location at Depot Square, it's a fairly new building. Same area where Future Foods is but back further. Love that place it's like going back in time to an IGA 50 years ago. I think I see the station on Birdseye but missed it, went right by I think. This was just as I thought I was a pathfinder LoL.

Guess the entire point is there's no connection to the old water tower?
 #1279389  by Mikejf

Rich,

I am unsure if there was any connection at McFalls, but it would make sense for there to have been one.

Look at the following map. It looks down the ROW past the post office. From Maple St. to Route 11, then on to the stone arch bridge in about a mile.The station is next to the P.O. building. St. Lawrence main line is opposite the way that is pictured.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.111059, ... ilRqJg!2e0