Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#378107  by BobLI

What is the steepest grade on the subway? Lines that go over bridges or the lines that have the underground junctions between lines? (EG west 4th st).
 #378260  by Ocala Mike

I don't know this for a fact, but I always thought the #7 climbing into daylight after Vernon-Jackson e/b, and becoming the el at CH Square was pretty steep.

Ocala Mike

#378345  by pennsy

Hi All,

How about the climb out of the tunnel from Utica avenue to the Sutter Ave. station on the New Lots line ? As I remember it, when a snowstorm hit and those rails froze over, the line had to be closed since the trains could not climb that hill on icy rails.

#378723  by JayMan

One pretty steep grade is the flyover track at the junction between the Dyre Ave line and #2. The train track clears the 2 line and returns to the same level in less than a 1/3 of mile.
 #378974  by Head-end View

I'd vote for the Astoria BMT where it comes up out of the 60th St. Tunnel to Queensboro Plaza Station. That's a l-o-n-g steep grade to climb. :wink:

Now that I think of it, I'd better take a front-window ride up that hill soon, while there's still time to do it, before they replace all the "corner-cab" trains on that route. :(

#397863  by The Queen

A similar topic was on another message board some time ago

I believe it is the climb from the Brooklyn side of the Manhattan Bridge when a northbound train is using the express tracks that cut through DeKalb.

Those tracks dip down under a few tracks and resume to climb up to the Manhattan Bridge
 #618831  by pc motorman

the steepest incline is the Manhatten bridge which is 5%, in the B div., the climb s/b on the 7 line leaving Willets Pt. on the express track on the A div.
 #618972  by Head-end View

Pc, I can easily believe that climb from Willets Pt. but are you sure the Manhattan Bridge is steeper than the ramp up to Queens Plaza? :-)