Railroad Forums 

• Steam tourist train in Cooperstown's "Woodland Museum"?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1617789  by deezlfan

A couple of thoughts regarding previous posts.

Unless there was an attempt to build a ROW along the northwest shore of Otsego Lake that I'm not aware of, I don't think the Woodlands Museum was on any sort of previous RR ROW. The station in Cooperstown was in a stub ended yard. The C&CV actually headed north before getting to the station and meandered north toward Richfield Springs.

The Woodland Museum was up on the hill above Three Mile Point on the Busch Estate [previously called Uncus Lodge] probably 2.5 miles north on Rte 80 from the Farmer's Museum. You would have had to have transport from one museum to the other.

I visited Woodlands Museum in 1971 and it was really just a tour of a small stable for a couple of Clydesdales, a short nature walk with some horicultural markers and a small building that I suppose was intended to represent a train station with a few small displays of tools and what not. The train ran from the parking lot into the wooded area near the horse barn. The entire museum was well away from the estate buildings and private barn as I remember.

I remember the diamond/cabbage style stack but did not remember the saddle tank. Remembrences of 52 years ago often blur the details